Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl summer cooling idea, feedback wanted

otolith

Reaction score
Maryland has been having a weird heat spell the past few days and as a result my axolotl tank is at 74 degrees instead of the usual 66-68. I have been using the "water bottle" method with limited success, the bottles melt in about 15 minutes and do not lower the temperature more than 2 or 3 degrees farenheit. I also have fans blowing onto the water surface and a mesh lid with no light. The temperature is currently around 70-72 degreess. The axolotls do not appear stressed and are still eating well. Rather than invest in an aquarium chiller I was thinking of getting a large cooler that you would normally use for camping or barbeques.

I plan on using the water and sponge filter from their tank as well as providing a few hides. I will keep a thermometer in the tank to monitor temperature and keep it stable by adding cool dechlorinated tap water when necessary (hopefully not frequently). Does this sound like it would be a decent solution until the weather stabilizes? Anyone have any other low tech solutions? Any input is appreciated.

otolith

Reaction score
I referenced using several of those methods from the caudata article in my original post. I was hoping for some ideas in addition to those outlined in the article.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you come up with any, please let me know so we can add them to the article:supercool:

If your axies are healthy and well-fed, they should be fine for a few days at 74F now and then.

otolith

Reaction score
Thanks Jennifer,

These are the ones I just got from you about 3 weeks ago and they are doing very well, I think they have already grown about an inch. This heat spell thing just has me worried so I am trying to figure out a longer term solution before summer is here. We will hopefully have AC by then so their 30 gallon tank will just go in front of it and hopefully that will be that. the "cooler method" is working well though, very little temperature fluctuation now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1