FINALLY got the tank up and running.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
A. Macxicanum
Filled the 55 Gal a couple of days ago. Started cycling. Yesterday I added a Marimo Moss Ball and some Palaemonetes paludosus (we call them Ghost Shrimp around here). Let that simmer a bit. Last night I apparently Fouled/clouded the water a little with an overly zealous pinch of flakes for the Shrimp (I noticed this morning) and I'll have to get that sorted out. Also ...the tank runs hot at 75.3° F (that's in the morning before any lights go on) even though the room is 73-74°. Raised the light to see if that would help. I have a Zoo Med 501 and a Repticlear 350 internal (which may have to go...though I wonder if it'll work with the power head up out of the water a bit) as it does seem to generate a bit of heat. I'll give the tank some time to settle in while I work on the Temps.
Getting closer though.
May have to build another mini fridge cooler. Wife will kill me though. :eek:

I would take the internal out personally. I use a 501 on my 55 with 2 adults and my tank is crystal. I use an airstone at the opposite end to disrupt the surface, of course mine isn't completely full either, yours may be. I found it easier to keep cool and for handfeeding purposes to have it just a little over half. My room temp reached 79 F one day and my tank temp was still at 68. I have the hoods on, just leave the lids open, so far, so good. Glad you got yours up and running!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back