Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling situation! Opinions needed.

Sampson

Reaction score
I had a fully cycled tank equipped with a Biofilter. I felt it was producing to much current for my axolotl and switched to a Sponge filter. I left the both on for a few weeks and then pulled the Bio. Now my No2 levels have spiked due to the new filter not having enough growth. I have a few options and I wanted to get some opinions. The No2 Levels were in the high 2's yesterday. I did a %50 water change. He is eating fine, active and his gills and tail show no signs of stress.

I have a 6 gallon fluval Edge tank in my office that has guppies and Cherry shrimp in it. I was considering having him stay there for a few weeks while the No2 levels drop. I know this is not ideal but he's not more than 5 inches so he wouldn't be to cramped.

Just placing him in the fridge for a 1 or 2 weeks while the levels drop.

Letting him stay in the tank and do %25 water changes every other day.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Can I ask what No2 is? Nitrite I imagine. It should be ok if you do a %20 daily change and check levels. could you cram some of the media from your last filter into the new one?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I'm not following. What was your nitrate level in ppm.? If it is a big enough tank and a small axolotl why not just cycle it with the axolotl in the tank?

Sampson

Reaction score
My Nitrate levels are nearing 3.0 ppm. My tank is 20 gallons and the axolotl is around 5 inches. He seems to be doing fine. Will he/she be ok as long as I do a %25 water change every other day?

dragonlady

Reaction score
I would continue cycling with him in the tank. You will be able to tell if he starts stressing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1