Tank sizing question (60 gallons)

Orvilleberta

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 60-gallon long tank, soon to be fully planted for 1 axolotl.

My questions :

Is this a sufficient size?

Can I fill it up 75% of the way?

What kind of plants are OK for an axolotl? I was thinking of a pretty high rockscape in the far back, with some ferns and anubias branching off of it to give the axolotl some hiding space. Some floating plants across one end to give it some nice shade. Sand substrate.

What kind of stones are OK for the axolotl to be with?

The tank will be riparium style, with a water level maybe 75% of the way up, with some plants in planters.

Any help would be appreciated.

frontal.jpg

It's pretty big.

three-quarter.jpg

Really big... I would love to put another axolotl in there, but don't know if there would be enough room. The tank on the left is a 20-gallon long.

axolotl-sketch.jpg

This is a sketch of how I envision it looking. A few planters along the back that will be hidden behind ferns, branching off of large pieces of driftwood.

That tank is plenty big!! You could easily house 2 in there.

As for plants, you want some that can stand cool water and low light conditions.

If you use rocks make sure they are way bigger than an adult axolotls head. Here is an article on aquatic substrates that can help you out further.

I just wanted to update this tank.

It has the axolotl, driftwood, fully cycled (water from his older tank).

May 17, 2010

Well, I found a new bike. For anyone into bikes, I'm going to be riding a Cannondale track ('93) 57cm. My Colnago Master x-light 2009 with full campy was stolen a week ago.

Onto the tank...

As my fourth planted tank, and first tank larger than 20 gallons, I must say the scale is nice and fun to work with. The footprint, the sand I chose, and the fact that my axolotl is doing really well in here. I feel as if the larger animals require a larger body of water to really feel at home.

I hardly call this done or planted, but I can definitely get a better feel for what this tank is going to look like when I am finished. I still have quite a few more rocks to place into this tank (Dark yamaya stones).

I was at Aqua Forest Aquarium and found the yamaya stones I was looking for. They have quite a bit, and I wanted to take the whole box, but I was there for plants. I started looking at lighting... and all other kinds of madness, but quickly got back to the task of finding plants.

full-tank-shot-planted.jpg

I came across "Nomaphilla Stricta." It was growing in bunches, and had a nice natural look to it. It looked sturdy and strong, and I saw roots growing all over the place, but I didn't care... it looked "natural." Maybe I should let the roots run around. This plant can also grow emmersed, so it will go well with my theme of above and below the water-line. (I have nothing above the water-line yet, as I'm waiting on my mist king to arrive)

Then I randomly decided to go with some Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown. This is a really cool plant, and it matches the lighting and color of the manzanita quite well. From the beginning, I wanted Vallisneria, and so those went into the background too. Some of them are just floating around, unplanted... I didn't have a bunch of time, as my girlfriend was trying to pull me away from the tank (JUST GIVE ME ONE HOUR... WATER CHANGE!) I also forgot to mention anubias... all of these plants will also be attempted emmersed as well.

I'm considering the white cloud mountain minnow for this tank, as they are quick. Right now, there are some feeder fish in there, and they seem to be too quick for the axolotl to catch. It goes well with the whole "natural" look I guess.

Lighting is now 58-watts T5 normal output. If I dose, it will be iron and possibly excel. I purchased some ADA "Iron Bottom Long," which is basically root tabs with iron.

rightside-planted.jpg

Here is the right side of the tank. The stump on the left has sunken in, and I've anchored it down with some rocks. I didn't want to take away too much roaming space for the axolotl. The stumps actually don't make much contact to the ground. They're being propped up against the glass by other branches.

That's about it for now. I think I have my big plants well in place. Nice water change of 25%.

Looks really nice, I have pretty much the same idea when I get a larger tank. I have 2 giant pieces of driftwood and some really large plants. I love the planted natural look, and can't wait to design mine. Very nice job!

WOW those pieces of wood look amazing! :D

I want a really big piece like that for my tank.
Did you buy it?

You're tank looks great! I am yet to redo my tank its very very boring and needs more hides!

Let us know how those plants get on. Mine all die on me :(

Mel

Weird! It would not let me edit the initial post. Ah well, must be turned off...

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliments everyone!

Manzanita Burlworks - The Source for Quality Handcrafted Manzanita Products

Manzanita.com will sell a variety of pieces, from large stumps to small twigs.

The plants I currently have mostly do not require any nutrients except CO2 supplementation. Even then, I think just the right water temperature, current, and lighting will do the trick.

For the plants that do require nutrients, I have root tabs that I place into the substrate.

I could have gone with some enriched substrate (like ADA aquasoil), but I decided the initial ammonia release would just slow down the tank too much.

I think wilbur likes his new hiding places. Last night he climbed up the stump a bit and rested on some of the leaves.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back