Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My Axolotl hasn't eaten for almost a week

rossman86

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the Axolotl game and was blown away by them ever since they became known to me whilst watching an episode of QI. I have had 2 of them for since November of last year and all of a sudden one have them has stopped eating over the past week and is behaving strangely... During the evening, early hours of the morning he seems to tirelessly swim against the side of the tank (knocking the themometer againt the glass, which is incredibly annoying). He's completely changed he doesn't meet me at the glass or show any interest in food.

I have noticed that his gills are curled forward a little, which I have read is a sign of stress induced by too much flow. The Filter I use agreed is a lil on the powerful side, but I have a spray bar and i've angled it towards the glass and up towards the surface and has not been a problem before. Any advise guys would be great.

Thank you.

Regards

Skilly

Reaction score
Have you checked your water chemistry? Something may be off and causing irritation to your axie. What are the ammonia levels, nitrate, nitrite, PH, and temperature?

rossman86

Reaction score
No I have not done a test on the water, I have done a 3/4 water change (treated tap water). The water temperature in the tank is mostly between the 19-21 mark of recent, but i have been using the frozen water bottle technique during the day recently.

dragonlady

Reaction score
The frozen water bottles have to be changed with precision, if thawed too much, then when the new one is added, there is too much fluctuation in the temperature. This can cause stress. When did you start doing the frozen bottles?

A fan blowing across the surface of the water may work a little better for you as that is constant and less work than switching bottles. Just a thought.

As Skilly suggested, knowing the parameters can be key. If you could test your water and post, that could be very helpful.

What's your substrate? Just to rule out a possible impaction.

Are these adults or juveniles? How big is the tank?

The water change is a bit too much as well. 3/4 is extreme - personally I would never do more than 50%.

Any additional info is greatly appreciated, thanks.

rossman86

Reaction score
The tank is 800mm x 300mm & I do a water change once a week, sometimes two. i am growing more concerned over the substrate, i've been reading up on other experts comments on other pages and mine def swallowable. Rookie mistake.

Ah then it may be my fluctuation in temperatures...... I have not been doing it with any precision. Will a domestic coolin fan blowing over the surface really work?? I can do that.

I got them when they were tiny and i've had them since last November, does that fall in the juvenile category. I don't believe it's there diet, they eat better than me :)

Any further comments more than welcome, I really appreciate any advise you can give

dragonlady

Reaction score
Yes, definitely change the stones. They should be large enough to handle sand and you will find that sand, slate, or a bare bottom much easier to manage. I have had rocks, bare, and now have sand. Sand is easiest so far.

I responded to your other thread regarding cooling, but yes, a reg fan blowing across the surface of the water is quite effective.

Diet - I too, feed my animals better than myself! ;) Just make sure that earthworms are the main staple.

Definitely get a check on your water parameters. Rocks have lots of little nooks and crannies for food and waste to creep into. That decays and your parameters can jump way off!

rossman86

Reaction score
Yes I see that, thank you for your help. I may even just go for no substrate. then I can maintain cleanliness better. What type of sand is best to use?

I have hooked up the fan already for tomorrow, "easy to keep" it said for Axoloyls haha. They're great though I must say, so funny.

I feed them Locusts more than anything, are Earthworm best as a stable diet? Protein is an extremely important part I presume.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Play sand or any silica sand will work.

Earthworms are the best diet, yes, and locusts are actually not suitable at all as a staple.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Aquatic sand or play sand rinsed really well and if you use play sand, you may want to sift it through a screen first for small stones.

Yes, must agree, axolotls are great, but addictive as most out here will warn you!

Locusts really are not suitable but earthworms are very high in protein and much easier to digest. I don't know what part of Australia you are in, but have read in other threads that if you don't have worms of your own available that they should be available and "Benings" - hope I got the name right. I feed mine earthworms, frozen bloodworms, and sinking axolotl pellets to offer variety.

Good luck to you!

Edit: Sorry Shizeric, was posting at same time as you - so some of this echoes your post.

rossman86

Reaction score
No no no i'm in England, UK ;) there's plenty of Earthworms here does nothing but rain I assure you. Okay, I'm going to have to revise some things, sand it may have to be. Also then I may be able to introduce some plants into my aquarium.

Thank you I have a busy weekend coming

shoegal

Reaction score
As always, I completely agree with the advice given by Eric and Shannon.

When you test your water parameters it may become very obvious why your little guy is acting so strangely.

Also, I completely support your decision about removing your substrate. There is another post on the Forum today about an axie that swallowed a giant rock and will now need surgery. Not a pleasant situation... : (

Best of luck, and please keep us posted on your situation.

rossman86

Reaction score
Oh ouch!! That's not nice.

Then you'll all be happy to know that I took the day off work today, purchased some play sand, rinsed it through and have now changed the substrate. I am waiting for the sand to settle on the initial fill up as we speak. You would not believe the amount of **** under those STONES!!!!! Thank you all, hopefully now I can get the best outta my lil drains on my resources again.... gotta love um tho!! Haha

Any other tips are more than welcome, i'm glad I joined here

Okay so it's going to take longer for the water to clear fully..... I got a baby bath and i've put them in that with their log, so they can hide as it's unfamiliar. How long does it take to settle when using sand? Bout 12 hours?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1