Hi from Australia!

Jayshan

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all!

My name is Shannon and I have a whole range of pets, from small to moderatly large. I don't, however, have any amphibian or reptilian pets, yet! My family does have a ''house'' green tree frog, but he/she more comes and goes as s/he pleases rather then us contain it! Will try to get some photos and post them soon!

I have joined in the hopes of finding out all I can about owning axolotls! There seems very few breeders in the Brisbane area, and even less in the Gold Coast area! Still trying to decide whether they are ''that hard'' to breed, or whether people just ''aren't interested'', but I'm sure with everyone's help here, I can find someone who has a couple! But before that(waaay before lol), I want to learn as much as I can.

I have, in the past(when I was like 10-13 years old lol), owned a pretty/handsome yellow axolotl, s/he did very well until s/he learnt to climb out of the tank. It all went down hill from there! But I am much older now, and look forward to letting these curious little creatures back into our home again, and to talking to all who have had the joys, and hardships, of axolotl ownership!

Welcome to the Forum from one Shannon to another! You have come to the right place to learn everything axolotl and yes, there are many experienced owners out here who will help you through the rough spots including some ideas as to why your previous axie wanted to escape!

If you haven't already, check out Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander as well as Caudata Culture Home Page where you can gain a lot of useful axolotl knowledge! Looking forward to seeing you around!

Take care,
Shannon

Hey!

I had been lurking around for a little while before I posted my intro and had noticed you on here, too! Small world!

I'm interested in seeing other people's opinions on why s/he escaped, too, so I can prevent it from happening ever again. S/he(keep saying this because at the time we didn't know how to gender an axolotl, and the petshop had no idea) was more of a family pet, so it would be good to hear where we went wrong!

Going to have a look at those pages now! Thanks heaps for the welcome and pointers, I'm very sure we'll talk again soon!

I find it easier just to say he, until proven otherwise. ;)

Without knowing the whole story, my best guess is that "he" was attempting to escape due to poor water conditions and/or improper temperature. I would suggest getting a really good set of test kits to test pH, nitrite/nitrate, and ammonia - the test tube drop kind, not the test strips as strips can be inaccurate. As you will read, axolotls can tolerate a wide pH range but still a good idea to know. Ammonia is a definite worry.

Anyway, do some reading and just know that if you have any questions, there are a lot a great people out here who will happily try to help you.

hi shannon
welcome...you have come to the right place for info.....everything you need know and more......there is a place on the highway near nerang(the pet barn i think it is called) that sells axies and the lady in there seemed to know a fair bit( i had a sick axie and i dropped in there to get suppies and got talking).... i live in brisbane......
lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back