Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

S. s subspecies id

slatera

Reaction score
Would anyone like to confirm the subspecies of the attached? I think it may be S. S. bernardezi (young male).
Thanks. Andrew.

Attachments

• S. s. bernardezi 05.jpg
    S. s. bernardezi 05.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 249
  • male 01.jpg
    male 01.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 220
  • S. s. bernardezi 04.jpg
    S. s. bernardezi 04.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 214

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Should be bernardezi, but could be fastuosa. With no locality data it is not easy to say.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think so, yes.

You don´t have any locality data? Perhaps the breeder knows, it´s worth asking.
Have you bred them, if so, did the female deposit larvae or juveniles?

slatera

Reaction score
Hi Azhael
Thanks for your reply (missed it before). I did not have a female so no breeding from this one. But have now acquired to new juvenile bernardezi s so hope to breed eventually. S. s. bernardezi male has been housed with S. s. terrestris (female) and looks like she is gravid, so may have some inter-sub-species offspring in due course. Not ideal I know, but as captive bred will not be altering wild gene pool.
kind regards
Andrew

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Not ideal I know, but as captive bred will not be altering wild gene pool.

They won't be altering the gene pool as long as they are kept for yourself. The problem begins if they are given or sold to anyone else. They may either forget or don't care they are mixed and will breed them with other species and then they give away the offspring to some unknowging person who breeds them.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ditto what Justin said!
Intergrades are a serious thing, specially if it´s a combination that can´t happen naturally like this one. If you do indeed get hybrid offspring, PLEASE make absolutely sure to make it painfully clear to anyone that might buy them in the future and perhaps try to sell them only to people interested in a "pet" and not in breeding.
You have no idea how much damage something like this could cause if uncontrolled...:S

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1