Coconut moss okay to eat

dixychickca

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have coconut malch as the floor, and I am curious, is it okay for him to eat? I have a male tiger salamander. Just don't want him to get sick from eating it.

If you are referring to coco-fiber, for example that which is sold as blocks that must be reconstituted such as Bed-a-Beast, the answer is yes. Coco-fiber substrate that may be ingested as the tiger lunges for food, appears to safely pass into the feces.

Coco fiber is perfectly harmless choice and actually is a lot safer than many other substrates. Just make sure you spray with water if it seems to be getting too dry. Tiger salamanders soak moisture through their skin so its a good idea to keep it damp and add a shallow water bath if he doesn't have one already (just in case it does get too dry, he has a retreat). Hope this helps! and again, your substrate choice is highly recommended so don't panic! :happy:

Actually, damp is not good. Moist is what the substrate should be. Too much humidity and skin problems may appear. This is also why good ventilation is very recommended.

Thank you all for your advice. I have a rectangle water dish and a rock in the corner so he can get out. Its not a really big tank, however its just him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back