Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie not eating

Tan160581

Reaction score
hi everyone

i had my 2axis for a week and a half now and one is fine, nice red gills and eating loads, but the other one has very pale pink gills and they were biten by frogs when he was in my make do tank,

they are now in a 115 litre tank which is cycling at the mo and temp is 63, with sand substrate and he has not eaten now for 4 days, he was eating when i got him, but since the frogs attacking him he hasnt eaten i have tried him with blood worms and earth worms which he just ignored and eventually the other axie saw it and ate it, what do you suggest i do, i cant tell you my parameters as i dont have a kit yet, but if that was the case, would the other axie be so well and eating xxxx

Attachments

• ill axie.jpg
    ill axie.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 244

dragonlady

Reaction score
Sometimes one axie is more susceptible to stress than another and will show signs first. The gills on this one are slightly forward and they look poorly. Is his tail curled at the tip?

In order to give any ideas of what might be going on, we need to know what is going on with your tank. You said it is cycling, your ammonia level could be spiking right now and you not know it - if that is happening, your axie could be stressing due to that.

I remember the frog tank, but I don't remember what you were using to treat your water -sorry. I would do a 20% water change in your tank with pretreated water.

My suggestion would be to either get the kits necessary to test the pH, ammonia, and nitrite/nitrate levels or to take a sample of your water to an aquarium shop to have it tested. Most pet stores will test it for free so hopefully you have one near you. Once you have that info, you will know what's going on. You need to have your source water tested too - i.e. your tap or wherever you are getting your water from.

Please try to get this done as soon as you can and post the results - thanks.

Tan160581

Reaction score
the tail curls ocasionaly

so do you think my other axie will get ill then or maybe do you think he is stronger, i will go and get my water tested, when i treated the water i use tapsafe what i use for my fish when i treat there water is that okay

also what do you mean sourse of the water xx

dragonlady

Reaction score
When you do water changes in your tanks, where does the new water come from? - That is your source water. Just so you know what you are working with.

Tapsafe is okay but I would suggest trying to find Prime and using that. It is more effective at removing some nasties from the water and helps with ammonia too.

Once you have your water tested, we'll have a clearer picture.

Tan160581

Reaction score
i just it get from my tap in the kitchen is that what i should be using, i will go to the store tomorrow afternoon when i have finished work to get a result xx

Tan160581

Reaction score
should i do a water change now,i have a filter or should i wait til i know what my readings our from the water

Tan160581

Reaction score
Hi everyone

well i got my water tested at the shop and i brought the proper kit as well for future testing

amnonia 0.25
nitrite 0.5
nitrate - 10
ph 7.4

also swapped there light for a moon light as well

any advice on why his still being ill and doesnt move much and wont eat much appreciated xx

dragonlady

Reaction score
I would do a partial water change, about 20%. Your tank is still cycling and this may be stressing the one axie right now. I would keep him under observation for a few days and see if he improves.

He may be a shy eater so feed them at opposite ends to try to give him time to find the worm before the other one. I hand feed mine as my male is very slow about eating and is easily frightened. Maybe cutting the worm will help yours too. I also feed my male sinking fish pellets as my female is not crazy about them and he can take his time in finding them. Do you have access to something like this? Mine are Rangen sinking salmon pellets - you may be able to find something similar online.

If his condition seems to be getting worse to you, you may want to fridge him until your tank stabilizes. The fridge process is HERE. Keep us posted.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hey Tania, I agree with Dragonlady pellets are a good option I live in London and brought some axolotl pellets from Exotic Pets - Amphibian, Reptile and Invert UK exotic pet shop Two of my three axolotl love them.

I remember you mentioned one of your axolotl is always hiding is this the same guy?, maybe he is scared of the light or movement in the room, he may still feel threatened by you as you have not been together long. try cover the tank with a towel when you next feed, make sure it is nice and dark but you can see were the food is so you can see if he eats.

As dragonlady said hand feeding may help

Hope all gets better!

Tan160581

Reaction score
Hiya

THANKS for all your replys, i have been trying to hand feed him but his not interested, the other one will rip it out it out of my fingers and shake it like a dog bless him

i have a update and i put some food around him and i eventually he took one , one small blood worm and that was all, but today i woke up and his looking so much paler then the other axie i have and they were the same colour when i brought them also he looks so much thinner as well, and today i noticed he keeps floating at the top of the tank, i dont know if this is bad or not xx

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I would not worry about the pale look, it happens with activity, my albino reguarly gets the 'ghost' look.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1