Are axolotl eggs/babies easy to look after?

rors401

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am now finally on the verge of buying an axolotl after a lot of research. I found axolotl eggs for sale on ebay and was wondering if they are easy to hatch and raise up succesfully? I have never owned an axolotl before but have done about 6 months of research. Do you know how fast they will grow and if I can buy a smaller tank for them when they are small? thanks:happy:

Hello...
If you have lots of time to put into looking after them and can successfully hatch baby brine shimp or find a regular supply of daphnia, and have homes for the little ones or space to keep them in, go for it lol.

Read up on rearing

I think most would advise to try with a juvenile first.

Mel

I would say that for a beginner, eggs are not the ideal way to start. They are fairly difficult and require a good deal of attention. I would recommend purchasing a juvenile or young adult.

Thanks:D, I think I'll go for an older one. But do you if it is safe for me in the future to then keep a baby axolotl with the older one if I decide to get axolotl eggs in the future?

No, Axolotls can only be kept together if they are of a similar size, otherwise injury, or cannibalism can occur.

Hello...
If you have lots of time to put into looking after them and can successfully hatch baby brine shimp or find a regular supply of daphnia, and have homes for the little ones or space to keep them in, go for it lol.

Read up on rearing

I think most would advise to try with a juvenile first.

Mel

Is that a wildtype in your pic?

Yes he is a wildtype

He's gotten quite a lot darker (and bigger) since then but still cute :D

Mel

He is a very handsome chap Mel :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back