Is he ok

lea

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Leanne
hi everyone
i been looking at these photos of axies and now im thinking abby is to skinny.....what do you guys think??? i feed him everynight 2 cut earthworms and once a week bloodworms(treat) and the water temp is 15-18oC and the water is parameters are fine and he is on gravel that is 1mm..... he is acting normal..... i do a 15-20% water change weekly and spot cleans after feeding when i notice mess. i noticed this morning that his tummy near his back legs was sunk in a bit....is this ok.....the 1st photo is of abby this morning and the other one is of last night.
thanks
lea

Attachments

• SDC11527.jpg
    SDC11527.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 343
  • SDC11493.jpg
    SDC11493.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 291
Hey Lea,

Abby does look a bit skinny. I would offer more earthworms per sitting - maybe 2 is not enough for him. Why are you cutting them? He should be able to take whole ones I would think. That has nothing to do with his weight, just might be a little easier for you.

I would offer as many as he will take at a time - I have read of some taking up to 5-6 at a time. See what Abby does until he fills out some and then adjust as you need to. Looking down on top of him, his body should be the same width as his head. If you don't see him putting on weight, there might be something else going on - but try giving him more and see what happens. Take care.

thanks shannon....i cut them cause he doesnt eat them whole.... i think they might be to big.......(spoilt)....i just took his weekly intake(12 - 14 per week) and averaged it out so i was able to fed him everynight because the kids couldnt get use to the idea that abby didnt eat everynight like us....
lea

At least he will eat them! My wildtype, Sphynx, is a big chicken. He will eat red wigglers which are very small, but show him an earthworm - he turns and runs!

i had to mix the earthworms in with the bloodworm in the beginning.....abby spat the worm out otherwise.......he was only fed beefheart in the petshop.....
lea

I'd suggest just feeding her as many as she will eat each time you feed her, She is skinny, so whatever it takes to put on some weight.

2 feeds a day coming up.........why does it look like his tummy is sunken near his back legs???......how come it happened over night???
lea

It just appears as sunken in because that is where the stomach ends and the hip bones protrude. The lower part of the abdomen meets the "hip" area. Not sunken in, just significantly slimmer than the hip area. You probably just noticed this over night, I think a more substantial feeding arrangement will solve this situation.

How old is abbie?

roughly around 11 months......his feet turned black in feb.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back