Spitting out pellets

1lowtoy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis
Hay all got a question in regards to the use of the sinking pellets from the university. My axies gobbel them up and then spit them out. Why are they spitting them out and none of them holding them down. They all eat black worms like there going out of style but when it comes to the pellets the snatch them up and spit them back out. These guys are way more than large enough to eat them so any suggestions on how to get them to eat them would be great.

Thanks
Travis

Just keep trying for a few days, let them realise they are food!

Axies do have preferences when it comes to food, but once they do realize the pellets are edible, they should eat them regularly. Just give it time.

Thanks all one last question. should i stop feeding the blackworms or feed them also till they get that the pellets are food.

You could sneak a few pellets in with the black worm, as long as you clean up fairly quickly, That is what I am doing now to get my guys to eat earthworm...it seems to be working.
Although I do have one Axolotl that has only eaten pellets on one occasion!

feeding my axies from a bowl has never seemed to work i use small tweezers they all come up to the tweezers when there in the tank cause they know there where food comes from. but refuse to eat anything but black worms. wont eat blood worms, babies red worms, pellets, or anything else for that matter. So what do i need to do here to get them to eat something else. I'm about out of black worms and Ide rather not get any way more. Kan you guys give me any ideas here im desperate. I dont wanna starve these guys to death but im not going to go after any more black worms as of right now. Any more suggestions would be awsome most of the time they just spit the food out. Any way if you all could give me any other ideas it would be great.

Earthworms!
Nothing beats them, they are quite simply, the perfect caudate food.
You can dig them up from your own garden(if you have one) provided that it is chemical free. You can also buy them at bait-shops or orther them online. Some species are very easily cultured, which is an excellent way of having a food source for your animals.

As for the pellets, are they the hard or the soft kind? I use the hard ones and although some of my animals spit them out initially, they eventually figured out it wasn´t a rock :p

Mmmmm...the distasteful secreations of the red wiglers are probably the cause of the problem. Try offering whole, small worms, as this limits the impact of the secreations on the axolotls.
Anyway, be patient, it normally takes a while for any caudate to get used to certain foods.
On the meantime, bloodworms, artemia or daphnia would be good options.

Hi, my axies tend to spit out the hard sinking pellets (i've tried 2 different pellet sizes but they never seem keen) but they hoover up soft sinking pellets with no problem. I only use pellets occasionally tho as they mainly eat worms and bloodworms - the worms i feed with tongs or fingers but the tiny bloodworms i put into a feeding jar as its a bit less messy that way, not that they hang around for long!

With worms,i've found they prefer red wigglers if theyve been suitably marinated lol! I pop them into boiling water for a few seconds then drain that off and pour a little cold water on them and soak them for about 20 mins, then the axies gobble them down like nothing on earth!

Good luck with the feeding, i'm sure they'll get the hang of it soon
:happy:

Does your guys have to eat live food? The foods I give are a wide range of raw shrimp, raw fish (just cut a piece out of a fish that was for dinner), raw beef, fish eggs. Of course I also feed the pellets, live worms and frozen worms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back