Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Are they stressed?

axiegaz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

probably paranoia but i think my axies are stressed and i cant figure out why. Firstly here's the info regarding their habitat:

Water Parameters:
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
20 nitrates
17degrees C (at highest usually 15C)

Tank:
90cm X 35cm X 45cm
fluval 2plus with spraybar (set to lowest current)
2 caves plus plenty of plants - both planted and floating all in all a total of 3 separate hides
sand substrate
no overhead light
desk fan positioned for those particularly hot days

Diet:
earthworms (specifically lobworms):staple (1 large or 2 mediums every other day)
white cloud minnows: very occasionally, waiting for more to reach adulthood
cherry shrimp: roughly 5 added each month from my own breeder tank

extra info:
tank is well cycled
20% change once a week
Axies themselves are roughly 10.5 /11 inches long

------------------------------
So the symptoms they exhibit are the usual standard stress indicators, curved tail tips and forward gills (more so than usual). Any ideas or has paranoia reared its ugly head once more?

tx

gaz

dragonlady

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! Are they eating okay? What kind of dechlorinator do you use?

Everything looks good but your nitrate level is a bit up. It's not over the top, but might be the source of stress as what you describe are signs as you said.

You may want to test your source water (where you get your new water from) just so you know what you have there. If your source water doesn't show any nitrate level (not common but can happen), I would do a 20% water change to try to bring the nitrate level down. Check your filter media too, might be time to start the maintenance cycle on that.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Could the water flow be disturbing them? Does it ripple the water's surface? You can attach another spray bar to the one you have using a piece of rubber tubing. That slows the output (and looks pretty too, I find).

-Eva

ttamra

Reaction score
I have the exact same filter and found that even on the lowest setting, the water output created too much movement. I've got the output nozzle pointed towards one of the corners of the tank now so the main part of the flow is interrupted and that seems to be working really well.

Also, do you know what your pH levels are? As I understand it, axolotls can handle anywhere between 6.5 and 8, but somewhere closer to neutral is preferred... could that be a possible source of the stress?

axiegaz

Reaction score
Firstly, thanks for all the responses :)

kk :

Dragonlady:
Water source - i've previously tested and no nitrates in source the only annoying thing is it has choramine rather than chlorine which takes twice as much dechlorinator and a little more time to be neutralised :(

Media: changed 1 of the three media a couple of weeks ago - checked it this morning and looks good
Nitrate: hmmm i understood that Nitrates upto 20 were acceptable ( i should also point out that on the test kit the chart shows "10- 20 ppm" which my samples sits in so it could be less i just err on the side of caution) What should they be as 0 would effectivly prove my filter isn't working?

Eating: yup their eating is fine, Gretechen had some issues a few months back but thats all fine now (pooping fine too ;) )

Blueberlin:

water flow: interesting, i'll give that a try and see what happens :)

Ttamra:

Ph: 7.2

again thanks for the responses guys

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
If your nitrate level is rising then that can be an indication something negative is happening in your tank. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Glad you are so keyed in to your pets and caught their stress so quickly! Take care. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!