Help cycling my tank

waterbabys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Stevie
Hello can someone help I need a step by step idiot guide on cycling my tank for a red spotted newt (I don’t have a clue) thought it was just treating the water, pet shop said I just had to use tap safe.

Thank you that did help I’m a bit of an idiot I will read it over & over again till it makes more sense, is it all the same for a red spotted newt as for a Axolotl?

I found what looked like a mouldy worm in the bottom of the tank so i changed just over half of the water, was that wrong? that was 4 days ago now the Ammonia level is about 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
General hardness 16
Carbonate hardness 6
PH 7.6
Chlorine 0.8
Temp at 20 C Is this all ok?
What should I do next ?

Hi Stevie,

You're in the axolotl section, dear - the one for newts is one above this one. Anyway, the process is the same for any aquarium, axolotls just produce more waste than most creatures. :rolleyes:

With you showing ammonia but no nitrite or nitrate, your cycle has just begun. Now bacteria will change the ammonia into nitrate, so you will start seeing that level rise and the ammonia may decrease. Then different bacteria will change the nitrite to nitrate so you will see a level of that start to rise. Once the ammonia and nitrite levels are down to 0 and you have a nitrate reading, your tank is cycled. It takes awhile, at least a month.

If your newt is in the water during the cycle, you need to do daily water changes of 20% so that the newt is not poisoned by ammonia or nitrite. Once those levels are down to 0, you can just do regular water changes like weekly, bi-weekly - watever it takes to keep the nitrate within acceptable range. Nitrate does not get broken down, you just have to get rid of it - but it is not nearly as poisonous as deadly ammonia or nitrite.

Hope this helps.

-Eva

My newt is in the tank but not the water he will not go in now I know why.

If the cycle has just begun what should I be doing, just let it get on with it or do I need to put something in the water?

I'm sorry, that is my ignorance showing. I thought "newt" mean aquatic and "salamander" terrestrial. I didn't think for a moment that the newt could leave the water. :eek:

It is best not to put anything in the water. Let the cycle happen. It is a natural process, and it just takes time.

Wait. My ignorance again. Is the tank like a half-land, half-water setup? Or just a little dish of water in a lot of land? Sorry, I know I could research red spotted newts before writing, but you're online now and looking for answers, and I'll try to help.

All you need to do to make the water comfortable is remove about 20% of it every day, replacing it with fresh water (dechlorinated if you have chlorine in your water). The bacteria need a source of ammonia to keep the cycle going. Do you feed your newt in the water? If you do a water change and he goes back into the water, that should be all you need, I think.

I'm feeling a bit out of my league now. Maybe you really should ask in the newt section - you could start a thread and just link to this one to get the topic going. Or maybe someone in the axolotl section who also has newts will answer. I'm just not sure of a newt setup and I'm not sure about behavior of an animal that can leave the water, since I've only had axolotls, fish, snails, and shrimp. :eek:

-Eva

thank you so much for helping.
my tank is some land more water.
he eats out of a bowl at the moment till he start going in the water,
but i can put food in the water just what food is best i have bloodworm, daphnia (frozen) and pellets.

Attachments

• DSC03449.jpg
    DSC03449.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 626
Ok I read (quickly) the caresheet at Caudata Culture about Eastern Newts. I don't think it made me much smarter except that now I know that if your newt is an adult, it prefers to spend its time in the water. The only thing I worry about is that if your newt is an adult and normally in water, maybe he suffers somehow being on land? I don't know the answer to that, though, and you can certainly post a question about that in the newt forum.

Your photo helped me a lot more, though - and your tank looks very pretty, by the way. So, what I see there, I would treat as I would an axolotl (or fish) tank.

So. Cycling your water. It might be easier if you explain what you understand, then the others (where are the others just now, I am asking myself) don't have to spend the time typing out something you already know. In any case, the cycle works like this. A glass of water set on the counter will be fine for drinking (or living) even 100 years from now, assuming there was nothing in it to begin with and nothing comes into it later. If you put an animal into it, though, things start happening. The animal breathes in and out (oxygen etc) and it, well, poops. Amphibians also breathe (and release wastes) through their skin. We mainly detect this waste as ammonia. This brings us to the beginning of the famous "cycle".

Did you get all that about the cycle? The reason you need a "cycled" tank is that your newt produces waste (waste=ammonia), which is toxic, and the water needs to reach a (bacterial) balance to deal with that - like a pond.

Various sorts of bacteria "eat" ammonia and "excrete" nitrite, or nitrite-to-nitrate. And you want all of them in a balance that leaves your tank not like a toilet (full of ammonia and nitrite) but with only a little nitrate, which can be tolerated up to higher levels than ammonia and nitrite, but must be removed physically by water changes because nitrate is the end of the cycle, the end of what nature can do for your tank. (Live plants help remove nitrates, too, but we ain't even going to get into that now.)

So, you have had a "source of ammonia" in your water already. Maybe you put dead foods into the water or foods that died, maybe your newt went into the water to poopy. Whatever. Now you have ammonia, your cycle will begin (as it has). The thing is, the bacteria that change ammonia into nitrite will die if they do not get more "food". Food means "waste" - dead food, newt poopy. If the "ammonia bacteria" do not change ammonia into nitrite, the entire chain will fail.

So I am thinking, the best thing would be to get your newt back into the water. This means, like I wrote before, daily water changes of 20%.

Were you feeding your newt in the water before? If so and if you can convince him to get back into the water (by making the water more comfortable), then everyting should be fine - as long as you are consistent with the daily water changes. Ammonia and nitrite are truly deadly poisons, and so you just keep changing the water to keep their concentrations minimal while the bacteria are doing their eating-changing cycle.

I wish I could write shorter posts, but I hope this all makes sense?

-Eva

Last edited:
Thank you so much you have been so helpful.
I don’t think I will be able to convince him to get back into the water, so he will stay up top with a fresh dish of dechlorinated water each day for as long as it takes the water to do it’s thing hopeful not to long.
Thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back