Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question re: cycling

Manifest

Reaction score
I've had my little axie tank (34 litres) setup for coming on 3 weeks now and was wondering if I can get an estimate if this is normal... just tested the water again, we're doing daily water changes, or every second day of 20-30% depending on the readings.

Today we tested 0 Ammonia, 1 Nitrite and 20-30 Nitrate mg/L. The pH of our water is around 7.4. Does this sound normal for this length in the cycle. The high nitrite reading bothers me a little bit, hence the daily water change. I scoop the waste product left behind after the siphoning with a net, or suck it up with a turkey baster (great idea BTW, whoever came up with that) Temp fluctuates between 18.9 and 21.3 (C) over a 24 hour period. We're still waiting on proper fans to arrive from Japan. Getting aquarium cooling devices in Australia, as it turns out, is a nightmare!

My Axie looks quite happy and healthy so far, nice appetite and fairly active in bursts throughout the day.

For the last 5 days, I've been cycling a large (100L) tank for the future home for the current axie and hopefully another female in a month or 2 - it seems to be a lot more stable and cycling faster - we are using a new filter but we have transplanted one of the plants to the big tank and have 3 feeder goldfish to help the process along (which we will take back to the pet store when the tank is ready) They have done a great job keeping it clean but we're doing 10 % water changes anyway because one of the pieces of driftwood has coloured the water.

readings at Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate around 10 - 20. Unsure of the temp yet but it's not important until it starts being used for it's intended purpose. It's in the same room which is usually around 24 degrees ambient temp.

At what point is the nitrate reading too high for an axie and what is the best method to getting it down again? Daily water changes? I don't want to poison my girl! :eek:

melfly

Reaction score
Hiya your looking at 40-60 nitrate been acceptable. I would water change at 40 though.
Yes you get it down through water changes.
Did the larger tank have the nitrite spike etc?

Small tank looks like its cycling well, i would maybe try to get the nitrite down a little if possible.
Sometimes tanks can take quite a while to cycle. Smaller tanks are a little harder to stabilise but you'll get there! :D

Good work and good luck!

Mel

Manifest

Reaction score
Thank you melfly! we haven't see the nitrite spike in the large tank yet but it was really noticeable in the smaller one, it was at 0 for 2 weeks and then all of a sudden in the last few days it's gone from blue to lurid pink so yeah, we're keeping a close eye on it :) All this science has made my husband a very happy man, he loves tinkering with it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1