Question: Filter question

naturebabe

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 20 gallon tank (30x12x13) and i am not sure what kind of filter to get. I don't want something really expensive but i don't want to by something noisy or inefficient if possible.

Also i was wondering how high to fill the tank with water.

20 gallons? Fill it the whole way, and you can use a Fluval1+ or something, just keep on eye on the temperature, as internal filters may raise the temp of the water.

I stray away from internal filters for the temp prob that Eric mentions. There are varied opinions about filters as people develop their own preferences over time.

Many opt for canister types, I use a minicanister system on mine - a Zoo Med 501. There are pros and cons. A pro for my 501 is that it is fairly inexpensive for a canister, about $40 online. A con is it's awkward to get primed.

With axolotls, keep in mind they prefer slow moving water so a waterfall type that hangs on the back will need modifications to be suitable.

How about a Mattenfilter? Very inexpensive to build, very effective. Just sadly not yet very widespread outside of Germany.

-Eva

Last edited:
I looked into them and I also Recommend the 501. Perfect for your set up. I also have a Repticlear 350 and it DEFINITELY raised the Temperature on my 55 Gallon Tank by approximately 1.3° F.
I'm going to look into Eva's Mattenfilter too! I love do it yourself. Unless it's something I don't want to do! :D

I use a bit of filter cotton stuffed in the mouth of my Whisper 20 (adjusted to half flow) with an artificial hanging ficus plant (reptile type) covering that and hanging down into the tank to re-distribute the waterfall.

Any type of block that keeps the outflow from hitting the water surface full on will do.

I might have to attempt that filter that blueberlin gave the link to though, sounds interesting!

okay well i will look into the zoo med 501 thank you i figured i would have to modify it to make the current slower i was kinda worried cause i didnt know how to do that but it doesnt seem too difficult.

Looks like the 501 either comes with a spray bar, or is it an available attachment, that would solve any flow issues.

The 501 does have a spray bar. I have mine about an inch above the surface and the holes are pointed to the wall. The flow is not rapid and I have 2. One in my 55 and the other in my 29. My axies don't even notice them. A couple even float under the bar from time to time. Good luck to you and love to see your set up once it's ready!

i have the filter set up and working wonderfully it has a peaceful and light flow thank you so much. i will be sure to post a picture when its all set up. :)

Hello...

Any idea's on how i can limit the flow of a aqua-flow 200?...i was sold it with the tank i have and it just seems too powerfull...the spray bar attachment i guess could be modified but i'm not too sure what to do...

Any advice is welcome...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back