Question: What newt is more suitable?

lucas1957

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi guys,

greetings from singapore, this is my first post here. I am very interested in newts. However, i am not sure which newt is suitable for me, hence, i would like to seek the valuable advice of all the experts here. My conditions are:

water temperature: 27-28 ( i know the water temp is a big problem :mad:)
humidity: 70-90 %
tank size: 50 x 30 x 40

In singapore, the only 2 newts sold are the paddletail newt and the fire belly newt. I would like to ask which newt is more suitable for me?

Also, is there any way to lower the temp?

Welcome to the forum!

Those temps are a very serious problem. Neither species can tolerate them for long periods, and it´s particularly risky since they are all wild-caught. By the time they arrive to a house they are terribly stressed, very often ill or starving, so arriving to temps that high is almost a sentence for infection.

Is there anyway for you to find newts another way? Someone who is breeding them in singapore or getting them shipped from somewhere else? Pet-shop newts are really not a good option at all...

Is the tank divided into land and water areas? It´s completely unnecessary for either Pachytriton or Cynops, since if everything goes well, they won´t use a terrestrial area. Plus it steals a lot of water volume. Go with a fully aquatic tank.

As for the temps, have a look at this:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Hi,

i provide rocks and wood for them to climb out. But if it is unneccessary, i can remove it.

Actually, i am already using a fan. Without a fan, the normal temperature is about 29-31 degrees.

I tried the ice cooling method before, but the 'coolness' lasted only about 3 hours. wont this mean that i have to change the ice 8 times a day??:eek:

The only way to get them are from the pet shops. actually, to be honest, newts and salamanders are banned in my country, it is not easy to find a petshop that sells them, much less a breeder of newts.

Lastly, if i cool the newts at night, but not in the day, is it ok?

thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back