Question: Eastern newt

Not sure about the wild population, I have always see eastern newt active during day time in the wild. But I never attempt to observe them at night to do a comparison.

As for captive observation of other newt species, I found them active with or without light.

However, with comparison to Terrestrial salamanders or mudpuppies. I think those are more active at night than newts. Maybe other people may add to this.

Well, mine is active a lot in the day time, crawling around a lot, exploring, hiding.
People ussually say they are at night but i think it deoends really...

I don't think I'd claim to be an expert, but I've actually kept quite a few of them and observed many in the wild. Shyness is natural but not always the case from my experience. Especially in the eft stage. I had a couple a while back who were complete opposites in the same tank. One was so outgoing and always easy to locate and the other spent days hiding.
Is your newt still an eft? (terrestrial) or an adult(aquatic)?
My adults are almost always active during the day. In the wild the only time I haven't seen the adults in some of my favorite locations, is midday till early evening, in the summer when I figure its just too warm for them to come out and play.

I live an area rife with efts. From my observations, I believe they are primarily nocturnal creatures (or, at the very least, active only beneath layers of leaf litter and debris). However, on misty or rainy days, the forest explodes with them. Therefore, experimenting with higher humidity levels may yield a more adventurous newt.

When I want to find them in the wild (terrestrial), I go really early (with the sunrise) especially when it's damp. Spring and Fall are the best. That's for terrestrial ones. Aquatic ones, I go in the spring, during mating season, and find them where they breed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back