I did something silly and bought a malnourished axolotl...

StolleMan

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Ashton
I know I shouldn't have, but I purchased the last axolotl from the local petshop. Despite the ethical and moral dilema, I couldn't just leave her there, please don't chastise me.

Anyway, she is very skinny, particularly her limbs, I think the photographs don't really do her condition justice.

She has eaten a few headless mealworms, hasn't kept any earthworm in her mouth, but has grabbed at some, so I think that is rather promising. I want to get her weight up and get her healthy again, but I'm worried about the damage overfeeding could cause. I think that judging by her willingness to eat that is a real possibility.

She also has a small discoloured oval shape on her skin above her left shoulder, I don't really know what to make of that. She seems to be spending a lot of time near the surface, propped up on the plants, but probably spends equal time on the bottom.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I should be handling her rehabilitation?

Nora002.jpg

Nora001.jpg

Ashton... we've all done it. And I'm glad I've done it even if the animal was too far gone.
I'd try to get the skinny little thing to eat something "fatty". Wax worms or "Superworms" (zophoba) might be good considering the interest in insect larve. Good Luck!
I'm sure someone on here a lot more knowledgeable than I will chime in soon.

Poor Baby!!! I would have probably done the same thing (and have!!), can't stand to see an animal suffer! I hope you can help her out! I wouldn't feed her the mealworms because not only are they full of fat, they are hard to digest. Keep trying her on the earthworms - maybe cut them up and see if that makes it easier for her. Also some blackworms might entice her too. In addition, try some frozen bloodworms and the sinking pellets if you have them.

I'm not sure about that patch on her shoulder, heat related - maybe? Keep it under observation, if it gets fungus or starts looking worse, you may want to fridge her.

I wish you luck, please keep us posted!

Thanks guys,

I have frozen bloodworms, two types of sinking pellets, beef heart, community dinner and earthworms... to be honest, I don't know what a blackworm is... I'll google it :happy:.

The spot hasn't changed so far, she's in a cycled aquarium at 16 degrees celcius. It's probably a little small but I guess she is very small too.

I'll keep trying with earthworms, she seemed pretty spry when I got home from work today, I was a little worried her condition may have worsened during the day.

With regards to feeding, how much is too much?

:(Think this may have been the problem with bubbles who died at the weekend. She was skinny when we brought her and although she had started to eat well, she was not happy with worms, she ate a couple chopped but then just suddenly stopped.:(

Hope you manage to get yours eating well:happy:

Hey, I don't think any body is looking down on you. can I just say he is a cute little guy and I am glad he has a good home now, at least if he does not pull through you have made him as comfortable as can be.

Can I just chime in with a suggestion, I will stress this is my opinion and may be wrong. I would suggest trying to get the temperature nearer to 18-19, although 16 will be chilling him out I would think higher temp's will help him metabolize(sp) the food he really needs, we need him eating like a race horse;)

I'm sorry to hear about Bubbles, I'm dreading that outcome. I made the mistake of naming her, it'll make it harder if she doesn't make it.

She has put on a little girth (hope she can get rid of her skeletal legs) and had a bowel movement, still near the surface a lot, on top of the plants, but she seems to actively seek out food that I'm holding in my hands.

She ate a small earthworm last night which I think is good news.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it, I bet she does too.

That is all fantastic news, and just small accomplishments of eating and bowel movements are huge indicators that the Axolotl is in somewhat ok condition. Just keep up the work you've been doing, and hopefully everything works out.

You are doing just fine and you are doing all you can and I admire you for that. Think positive and stay positive and keep us updated - we all care.

Hi Ashton,
I think Axies in Australia eat better at a slighly higher temperature. If our tanks go below 17 degrees they all get sluggish and don't eat well. We keep all our axies at between 18-21C. Good luck...hopefully he will end up like our Bob who was on death's door when we rescued him and is now huge and the proud father of 60+ :D

I think Axies in Australia eat better at a slighly higher temperature. We keep all our axies at between 18-21C.

Axies eat more at higher temperatures because their metabolism is working faster, no reason to keep them above their ideal temperatures though.

Axies eat more at higher temperatures because their metabolism is working faster, no reason to keep them above their ideal temperatures though.
Hmmm... I think you misunderstood me - sorry.
I mean that I'm surprised that Ashton can keep his tank at 16C constantly here in Adelaide. I can attest to the fact that a large proportion of the axies bred and raised here are done so at much higher temperatures than the "recommended" ideal temps, due to the Australian climate. It's just my own opinion, but I consider it possible that generations of breeding at higher temps can "aclimatise" them. Our axies do not fair well at temps below 17C. We keep them happy by observing their health, not just the acedemia.

-UPDATE-

She's going strong, she has put on weight around the middle, and a little in her limbs. She's still very skinny, but has improved vastly.

She waits at the top of the aquarium, propped up by the filter waiting for food every evening, and she eats two medium sized earthworms every night.

I am able to keep her aquarium at just about any temperature as she has her very own chiller.

I will try to get some recent photos to post soon.

Hmmm... I think you misunderstood me - sorry.
I mean that I'm surprised that Ashton can keep his tank at 16C constantly here in Adelaide. I can attest to the fact that a large proportion of the axies bred and raised here are done so at much higher temperatures than the "recommended" ideal temps, due to the Australian climate. It's just my own opinion, but I consider it possible that generations of breeding at higher temps can "aclimatise" them. Our axies do not fair well at temps below 17C. We keep them happy by observing their health, not just the acedemia.

it may be the southern weather then, here in Argentina people keep them at "room temp", which is quite high in summer and they seem to be alright.

Maybe they adapted through breeding in warmer places to higher temps

I don't blame you for buying her. If my local pet store sold axies, I would have way more than 8!

I would suggest frozen blood worms. They are easy to digest (unlike mealworms), and I have never met an axie that was not tempted by them.

You will fatten her up in no time. Slow and steady....

Stolleman - excellent news - thanks for updating! Hope she continues on her way, she has you to thank for your kindness and diligence! :D

How about that spot you originally mentioned, any improvement there?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back