Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A Few Questions...

Kayne

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I got 2 axolotls yesterday (named Blacky and Pinky), and Have got a few questions after watching them. I'll just say them all straight away..

1. I fed my Pink axolotl (Pinky) a worm, which was as small as the other's I have fed him/her, And He/she swallowed it down fine, Then I went to feed the Black axolotl (Blacky) and Pinky started wretching upwards, He/She would contract all the muscles on one side , then the other, so He/She was kind of jerking into a C, then into a reversed C shape. He/She fell down after 2-4 seconds of this, and burped, then acted normal and did her/his usual " :D " face... Can anyone explain?

2. When Pinky is lying happily in the tank, Blacky will suddenly swim over and lay on Pinky, I know they arn't mating but wth? lol

3.When I feed them pellets, they'll happily accept them, But they'll wait for me to not look and then they spit them out. I only find out about them when its too late, and the pellets have absorbed too much water and started breaking into tiny pieces... Does this mean I can't feed them pellets?

4. I'm not too sure when they are full or not, I don't what to under-feed them, but I also don't want to over feed them, as this could be worse (or at least in my eyes, it is)

5. What does their poo look like?

6. Last night at 3am when I was gaming (Yes, I do game :p), I turned on the light to go get food, and noticed that Pinky was floating at the top of the tank. I remember reading about this in another thread 5 months ago when I didn't have axolotls, So I wasn't alarmed, But i'ld like to know whats happening. I also found my Black axolotl floating up the top of the water in the morning.

7. My axolotls "like" to hang out on top of my filter/ fake log / fake plant. Are they doing it just for enjoyment or is it because of my sand?

Here is a picture of Pinky Chilling on his fake plant :3
200v611.jpg

8. Is it okay to have a current in the tank, as I'm trying to keep the tank clean with a filter that is meant for tanks half the size of mine, But because I have the jet of output water facing the right side of the tnak, the axolotls only stay on the left side... Is there any alternative filters I can use that wont create a Current?

9. My axolotls occasionaly bang their heads into the corners / sides of my tank, Is it just because they are REALLY blind or are they trying to escape? D:

10. Whats the youngest age for me to be able to tell the sex of them? I've noticed that the black one has a much larger "clockea"? Or what ever the name of the lump between the hind legs and tail is, The Black one has a much larger one than the pink one, Compared to the pink one's almost "non existant" lump. My axolotls are still young and quite small (only around 15-20 cm)

11. Does anyone know what "type" of axolotls my axie's are? Heres 2 pics of Pinky and Blacky (names arn't trick questions. Pinky is the pink one, Blacky is the black one :) )

Pinky :
2eq9ts5.jpg

Blacky (note that he is actually alot more darker, You can bearly make out any of his spots:
j5vyfd.jpg

I'm trying to make my axolotls enjoy life with the least ammount of stress possible. I have grown so attached to them in the past 2 days hahahaha.

Cheers Guys :D

Edit: Here is the results of testing my water

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ph Level = 6.6 - 7 (Very slightly acidic)
Nitrate = 0- 3
Ammonia = 0 - 0.25
Nitrite = 0
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not sure if nitrate being 0 and nitrate being 0 - 3 is a good thing, I know I want ammonia to be where its at right now, and the Ph level seems fine (unless the water MUST be neutral)...

Last edited:

Kayne

Reaction score
It seems I can no longer edit my original post, But I have two more questions...

12. My Black axoltol has a "spike"/ lump on the right side of his tail, near the top, There is no indent on the other side, and I'm wondering if this is just his little defect?

Picture of ... THE LUMP (And no, It isn't the end of its tail.)

op4jm1.jpg

And to save you all time, The letters say "FinePix" which is on the strap of the camera i'm using :)

Last edited:

Kayne

Reaction score
Sorry... ugh tripple post, I wish I had the ability to edit them but it seems that one a post becomes older than 1 hour I can no longer edit it.

Would I be correct in saying that the pink one is leucistic and the black is a wild type?

Another Question, Is there any way I can add lighting without disturbing the axolotls too much?

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi everyone Hi Kayne, I have attempted to tackle your list, so let's see:

1. I fed my Pink axolotl (Pinky) a worm,- I have seen mine do this, I believe. I consider it normal if I have your description correct. They are rather funny to watch with worms as you'd think they were lions hunting down a gazelle. They get so excited and gulp so quickly that I think sometimes the worm just goes down the wrong way and they have to re-adjust. If you have further concern here, just ask.

2. Very creative names :p I consider no aggression, no problem.

3.What kind of pellets are they? If they are hard, the smell may attract, but the texture will discourage. Otherwise, just keep trying, as with a child trying something new, it may take a while.

4. Whatever they will consume in 15 min if you leave it. Sometimes live can be left overnight as long as the worms don't have a hiding spot to escape to and be forgotten.Just keep an eye on their weight. When looking down from above, their bodies should be the same widths as their heads. If wider, feed less; if narrow, feed more; if same, perfect.

5. When young, an American football. When older, basically, a black splotch of sorts. In both cases, it becomes like dirt or dust in time - making your tank look very dirty.

6. Floating is not uncommon, just as long as they can return to the bottom without issue or stay ONLY at the top all the time.

7. Several of mine enjoy their plants, I have one who swims and hangs out in plants all the time, I've only seen him on the floor at feeding time. I don't think it's because of the sand

8. What kind of filter is it? You may be able to adjust the outflow with minor modifications. They prefer very little current.

9. As long as it's just in a "normal" manner occasionally and not constant spastic crashing, it's normal axie kookiness. I have one who gets a gulp of air, then crashes headfirst into the sand on the bottom. Our adorable little pets are not all that bright. :D

10. Still a bit small, to be sure. They should be between a 1 - 1.5 years old for sexing.

11. Pinky is a cute little leucistic with freckles. Blacky is a wildtype - nice pattern it looks like!

Ph Level = 6.6 - 7 (Very slightly acidic) Axies tolerate a large range 6.8 - 8.2. 7.0 is not necessary
Nitrate = 0- 3 acceptable
Ammonia = 0 - 0.25 preferably 0, axies don't tolerate ammonia
Nitrite = 0 cool

Temp?

12. Can you provide a better pic?

As far as lighting, something with low wattage. I use 15w fluorescents over mine, they don't seem to even notice.

Hope this helps!
;)

wendyatk

Reaction score
Hi there Shannon has given you good advice and has answered your questions. My axie Mo Mo floats in his plants, like Shannon says they are so comical when they do this.

Kayne

Reaction score
Sorry that the pictures arn't that great, I haven't the slightest idea on how to use my camera settings OR what settings they should be.

Btw what do you mean by "2. Very creative names :p I consider no aggression, no problem."
Why would they be aggressive? :eek:

The pellets are small half - sphere shaped, around 3-4mm big, and fall to the bottom. I just tried feeding one to my Black axolotl and as i dropped it, he missed at hit his nose on my finger :< ow! (for him/her).
The brand that the pellets are Aqua Master Axolotl food... to be specific... http://www.truebluepawz.com.au/image.php?path=prodImages/AquaMaster-Axolotlfood.jpg

Here are the best photos I was able to come up with...THE LUMP.

10nynb5.jpg

2zhl1fp.jpg

15g2q2v.jpg

Edit : ugh i probably should of pointed it out, its the spike on his right side. :<

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry, I was teasing a bit about the names. :eek: Some people choose very elaborate names (Me for one) for their axies, so it's kind of nice to see somebody keeping it simple. Mine vary with Egyptian and Aztec themed names, requiring a little research as new ones are added. :D

By no aggression, I meant that you have nothing to worry about with them lying on one another. Sometimes, tank mates may take a nip out of another, I believe mostly by accident. So if you are not seeing any problems, you don't need to worry. Axolotls are pretty lazy creatures by nature, so you will see this kind of behavior where they kind of stack up on one another. I have 3 in one tank who all decide to share the same pvc tube despite having other options available. I should have been more clear - I hope this helps.

As for your axolotl pellets, they look like they are "hard", axies prefer soft foods so they may not want these at all. Some manufacturers make products just to make money, they don't have the animal in mind at all. They create an inferior product, put a cute pic on the label, and we buy it. I would suggest trying to find another type, I use Rangen sinking salmon pellets. They are soft and pretty smelly so mine will "hunt" for the ones that they miss during my dropping them in the tank. They have to be removed as soon as the axies stop their hunt because they will foul the water. I don't know that they are available where you are (sorry) but there are many other members here who live in Australia so hopefully one of them can assist. This is what they look like:

http://www.edsflymeat.com/DSCN0297.JPG

Maybe you have seen a similar product.

I cannot tell very much about the bump on the side of his tail. I understand about camera problems but if you are concerned about that bump, you could have it checked out by a vet just to make sure it's nothing to worry about. My best guess is that an old injury may have healed strangely but it's difficult to tell for sure.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. ;)

Love to see a pic of your whole setup when you are ready and it's nice to see how much you obviously care about your new pets! I wish you the very best with them.

Kayne

Reaction score
Hello again, Egyption and Aztec names sound cool, But I have trouble naming things as it is going to be their name for the rest of their life, and usually the first idea that seems good sticks ;p.

Anyways, I was actually recommended by the owner to buy this exact brand, and they even fed another baby axolotl one. I'm not blaming her though, She was a nice lady and probably was just demonstrating that axolotls "like" pellets, and how to feed them.

Heres a picture of the set up, it is VERY basic, I dont want to over crowd it... But i will be getting lights soon.

wi1uyp.jpg

51o5ty.jpg

Also, Today i was cleaning my axolotl tank as a result from pellets being spat out over night, and becoming a giant mess. And found out that my pink Axolotl has a shorter (Left?) gill, and my Black axolotls right claw's toes are shorter OR his toes are webbed. Would this be caused by inbreeding? I might ask the owner of the parents if they were brother + sister?

Kayne

Reaction score
O god, I think i've been UNDER feeding them. I just found out a week later that they eat alot more! I feel so cruel :/

I'm glad I found out now then later

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1