Any smaller newts from SE Asia that will do well with aquatics.

Craigthor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well a bit of background. I'm an avid fish keeper along with a recent adventure into Ripariums. My current tank setup:

Aqueon 150g Reef Ready Tank with overflows removed stock black pine stand
3 Viper K-2 70 watt MH 4200k 92 CRI Philips Mastercolour bulbs
2 Eheim 2217 Cannister Filters plumbed through the bottom of the tank
GLA Smith CO2 regulator with dual needle valves and bubble counters
2 PVC CO2 Reactors
TurboTwsit 3x 9watt UV Sterilizer
2 200 watt Hydor Inline Heaters
Mist King Misting System with 10 heads total 2 Quads and 2 singles

Flora:

Cryptocorynes both emmersed and submerged
Java Fern Trident and Needle Leaf emmersed and submerged
Varoius Stems

Fauna:

24 Betta Albimarginata
12 Chocolate Gourami
11 Badis Badis

72x18 foot print with 9.5" of waters for a total water volume of just over 50g. Weekly 50-90% water changes using RO water.

Lots of above water areas to hang out on.

Some pictures to describe what I've created:

P5120689.jpg

P5120688.jpg

P5120687.jpg

P5120686.jpg

P5120683.jpg

P5120681.jpg

P5120679.jpg

P5120676.jpg

I would really love to do some Fire Belly Newts, only like 4 max.. My concern would be the poison the extrect will that be deadly to the fish? My fish all max out around 2-2.5" and are pretty fast swimmers.

I would like to find something to add interaction to the above water portion of the tank. All my fish are fed live foods so that isn't an issue. My cultures include: Daphnia, Black Worms, Brine Shrimp, Micro worms, Walter worms, Grindal Worms, Wingless Fruit flies.

Any suggestions that will stay smaller and fit into my ideas. Only request is that it needs to be region specific so from the SE Asia region.

Craig

Please resize your images before you upload them next time.

First, it's not good idea to mix fish with newts, cause with them, FBN are getting shy even if the fish are harmless guppies or something like that.
Second, gourami, betta and badis are fish that require high temperatures (24-30'C), when newts prefer cool water (18-22'C), so i'm afraid you'd have to start another tank or give up with newts.
And the last thing is that most firebellies leave water very rarely.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back