Question: One Infertile Egg

A

achiinto

Yesterday I noticed I have one infertile egg in the axolotl tank. I have that section of the tank with 2 female and one male that is very old. I am not expecting that male to breed anymore. While I have a separator in the tank with three healthy axololts( 2 males and one female). These two males are active for breeding.

So, what do you think is going on? Where is there a single infertile egg on the 2F1M side? Does that means one of the female is ready to lay egg? Does that means all the eggs will be infertile? Is it too late for me to transfer an active male from the 1F2M side to the 2F1M side?

Hello
How do you know the egg is infertile?

Mel

Well it seems never developed with fungi growing on it. True, it might just be dead and in fact fertile.... But it seems odd to me that there is only one egg.

Hi,

are you sure that it is an egg? It´s quite abnormal that an axie lays only one egg. Normally they lay hundreds of eggs.
Maybe it´s a spermatophore.

Tina

That is what I thought too, should be 100s of eggs. It doesn't look like a spermatophore but it does not look like eggs from other Ambytosoma's. Not like the big spotted salamander's eggs I observed in the wild. Instead, it looks much smaller like a Newt egg.

Too bad the placement of the "egg" is at a difficult position to observe. So, maybe it is indeed a spermatophore and I misidentified it since I could only observe from the top. Now, I guess all I can do is to wait and see if there will be fertile egg. In this case, this might have proven that my Old and weak wild type is still an active male.

please, could you post a photo of this one laid egg. On a photo you often can see more details and it would be nice, if we can identify this "funny" thing.

Tina

Too bad it is gone already. I tried to take it out, but instead it dropped to some other place in the tank. So, I can't look at it anymore.
How unfortunate...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back