Newt pellets

keithp

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Keith Petrosky
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good quality newt pellet. I currently try to feed
my chinese firebelly newt these, but he refuses to eat them ever.
009112200049.jpg

The reason is that sometimes I run out of live/frozen food and cant get to the store, so the pellets would be as backup food. Anyone know of a good quality pellet I can try?

HBH newt and salamander bites is a good quality brand. I use it in addition to various live foods for my triturus dobrogicus larvae. A different newt or salmon pellet brand probably wouldnt be more pallatable to your newts. They are used to live food so they dont want to eat some non-moving food that doesnt even resemble a worm or other prey item.

At first I was reluctant to try pellets. But since I had to go for a 3 weeks long vacation while I have a few axolotl juveniles, I had to try pellets so my friends could help me feed them.

I have experimented with the Reptomin and the Hikari sinking pellets. For Reptomin, only my Chinese Fire Belly newts would eat them, but they do help them build up some weight for the smaller ones. To my surprise, the Hikari pellets are accepted by Spanish Ribbed Newts, Axolotls, Warty Newts and Chinese Fire Belly Newts. Only the Japanese Fire Belly Newts have less interested in them, or maybe b/c the setup (substrate) may easily trap uneaten pellets, so I gave it up for that aquarium.

I do feed other live foods to my newts and axolotls, mainly earthworms. My Chinese fire belly newts also have other dry food, live black worm, frozen blood worms as other food. I found that my captive breed CFBN have developed red-orange belly after feeding them Hikari. And with Hikari, my newts are still breed well.

I am not here to encourage Pellet food, as many people against it. I do agree that live food is still the best. I am currently looking forward to establish a Daphnia Magna and Scuds culture.

I have never tried HBH. Maybe the package design is not convincing to me. But the pellets look very similar to Hikari. I think in Japan, Hikari has released a pellet product designed specifically for Newts and Axolotl. But this is not available in America. I figure axolotls and Newt keeping is actually very popular in Japan.....

I use the same HBH pellets for my Red-Spotted newts and I have seen them gulp them down once or twice, but every time I clean the tank, all the pellets are gone so they must be going somewhere. I have tried Zoomed's Aquatic Newt Pellets and I've had success with them... maybe It'll do the same for Chinese fire-bellied newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back