Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Baby axolotl struggling to eat need advice

Rhen

Reaction score
Baby axolotl refuses to eat, what does this mean and how can I get him/her to start eating again? He/she looks a little pale, which I am not sure why. There is no current or anything that I am aware of that could be causing the stress, unless the paleness is from being in a darkened room (kept in the bathroom right now for safety to the axolotl). pH 7.6. The water is at adequate temp and daily water changes. Using Stress Coat. He/she is eating frozen bloodworms thawed out. He/she will go into a well established tank with sand substrate later. He/she has not been eating for several days now, but shows some interest in eating. Any worms that go into the mouth are usually spit back out. Axolotl is looking a little thin, large enough that it could swallow about half a cube or so of bloodworms if it wanted to.

Any advice is helpful thanks. I'll get some live black worms this week and see if that will encourage it.

EDIT

My axolotl is a GFP leucistic and it's a couple weeks old, about 2 inches (4 cm) long.

Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Trying live bloodworms may help as well. The paleness is common, as the bloodflow in an Axolotl's body decreases during periods of low activity, which results in a fading of color. I would recommend stopping the use of the stress coat, as I have seen nothing but odds results from its use. If you want to use water conditioners...use Aquasafe or AmQuel+.

Rhen

Reaction score
I've used AmQuel+ before, I will look into it again. I thought Stresscoat was more beneficial because of the aloe. Is there some concern for health using this product?
The axolotl ate a little between last night and this afternoon. It seems to be eating enough to sustain it's self. I can tell it has eaten because it looks slightly wider. He/she responds to surface disruption and will come to the surface for food, but isn't interested in actually eating, more like snacking. I will get some live blackworms tomorrow and see if this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1