Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Turtle Person learns to love the Axolotl

imderanged

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here, I have some experience with reptiles and amphibians, but truth be told my main focus has been on TURTLES (have RES & Eastern box). The RES was what started it ALL and NOW I have moved into FROGS (I have WTF and a Pixie--separate of course!) My limited experience with newts & salamanders was a wild caught (oops!:eek:) newt (species???) that I captured on a camping trip as a kid and a couple of Firebelly Newts I kept as a teenager. Recently though I have become VERY interested in getting an Axolotl and have been lurking here and there doing research and checking out the classified here. Now I have encountered my first problem. I live in New Jersey. I noticed the in many of the ads selling Axolotls it says : NO CA, NO NJ. :crazy: Are axolotls illegal here? I searched it on Google and didn't find anything. I'm not giving up that easily!

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I also have RES and a pixie among my critters. My pixie is without a doubt my favorite frog - just so voracious!

I understand your intrigue with the axolotls and wish I had more positive news, but my only suggestion for you is to consider changing states. Axolotls are indeed illegal in NJ as well as CA. Look on page 5 HERE for more information.

Last edited:

imderanged

Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I also have RES and a pixie among my critters. My pixie is without a doubt my favorite frog - just so voracious!

I understand your intrigue with the axolotls and wish I had more positive news, but my only suggestion for you is to consider changing states. Axolotls are indeed illegal in NJ as well as CA. Look on page 5 HERE for more information.

New Jersey has got to be the WORST state for Herp enthusiasts. Fish and Wildlife has some crazy laws here about turtles and tortoises, They even have a law that I can't have a Quaker Parakeet! I'm just curious, do you know their reason for not letting us have Axolotls?

And I just got done feeding Francis my pixie frog. Voracious is a good word :) I added a pic of him to my profile. He's a good size male and still growing.

dragonlady

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't know. I'm sure they deem it as some sort of possible threat to the native species. I would like to have an African Clawed Frog but not allowed to have one in VA for that reason.

Saw Francis, he's awesome! I have mine in an album on my profile page. His name is Phat B*st*rd - heehee. Mine is about the size of a softball. Take care, Shannon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1