Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Treating road trauma on salamander

frogshooter

Reaction score
Hello my fellow amphibiophiles,

I need som
e quick help... I apologize if my answer is already here somewhere, but I'm not familiar with the site and don't know how to search.

I'm looking for some quick medical advice for a spotted salamander that I picked up last night, partially squashed on my road (which has a lot of amphibian traffic to and from my pond on rainy nights). It was conscious and crawling, with four functioning legs, so I thought it might be worth a shot at helping it. I just amputated its mangled tail a little while ago, and it seems none the worse for the surgery, so far. Any advice on appropriate care and antibiotics? I assume it must be stressed, so I want to do the correct thing to give it a chance.

It would be very cool to save it, just on general principles. It's discouraging to find so many flattened critters on the road. This is the first injured one I've found that isn't completely demolished.

I've never kept salamanders in captivity before, so I don't even know what to feed it while it recuperates. I usually just take pictures of them on their way to and from the pond.

I've got a good supply of pond water to use, and about a million tadpoles of various sizes (do they eat those? .. or do they prefer store-bought crawlies like mealworms?)

I'm reluctant to give it a name and post pictures until there's some clue of a successful outcome...

So far he/she is hangin' in and looking perky, if a bit short!

Thanks!
Frogshooter

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
As far as treatment goes you'll want to keep it cool and house it in a simple setup consisting of moistened paper towels and a hide. You can also apply Neosporin (make sure you get the kind WITHOUT the pain medicine) to the wound everyday. Salamanders lose their tails quite frequently so it should heal and regenerate with no real issues. For food they like to eat worms but will also take crickets if offered.

merk199

Reaction score
Welcome good to see another MA resident! The lower the temp the better. Basement type temps usually work well. Depending on the size might take hydei fruit flies. Try earthworms. Go get some troutworms, and then work up to dillies, then nightcrawlers. I like to start small and work up. Offer the worms cut 1/2.

Keeping him on damp unbleached paper towels is key. Swap out the paper towels every day or two.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!