When should juveniles go to water?

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dana
My juvenile C. Orientalis first morphed last June, so close to a year ago. I've had them on moist paper towels since. Some tanks have a water dish, others do not. I had a couple of them hang out in their water bowls for a couple of days, only to return to land. When should I try to get them to be more aquatic and how readily should I expect them to take to worms? I've been concerned about them drowning so I've been reluctant to introduce any deeper water.

Dana

Age is of little relevance, size is a much more important factor.
Once they reach 5,5-6 cm long they should be nearing sexual maturity(specially males) and they should be able to go fully aquatic.
Bare in mind that you can actually keep them semiaquatically from metamorphosis if you want, although that varies greatly among individuals.

If they have been terrestrial all this time i strongly advice that you do the transition slowly.

Thanks, Azhael. I knew I could count on you through this process. I don't think they're quite large enough, but will provide some very shallow areas of water in all tanks at this point.

Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back