Reaching maturity

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
Hello all, My two older Axolotl are now 8inches and also around 8 months old. There growth has slowed down as has the daily hunger, I presume They are reaching adult hood, however I am slightly apprehensive about slowing down feeding, I have not been able to spot any set routine to there eating, they do not eat every day, but some times they eat after two days, sometimes 3 and so on,(earth worm is offered every day)

Can any one offer advice on how to proceed, would you recommend trying every other day to start with? or if you think it is too soon to slow down feeding please let me know.

Hi Tom,

You are very tuned in with your axolotls' habits, so I really think you have it under control. You know what to look for as far as their weight - if you notice some weight loss, step up the feeding. It sounds to me like yours are really expressive about letting you know when they are hungry.

I usually slow to every other day once they get to about 6 mo. If they're not too enthusiastic, then I pull back to every 2 days. Once they reach adulthood, I use cues from them - mine are out and about when they are hungry - in seclusion when not.

Isn't it amazing how fast our babies grow?! Take care. ;)

I have 7 mo. old Axolotls and they eat every other day. If I offer food on a daily basis, they are much less interested, so I prefer every other day to reinforce their ability to hand feed.

I would say every other day would be good.

Great cheers, I'm a massive worry wart! I just think of my tummy rumbling after two days with no food and think it will be same for them,

Every second day it is.

They seem a lot more sensitive to light now, has any one noticed this with age?

Yes, my juveniles sit out in the open constantly, no matter what lights are on...not even close to how my adults behave. As soon as the lights go on, they are scrambling to find the darkest spot around. Definitely something that develops with age.

I assume it is a survival technique like many other animals....babies stay as still as possible for safety, and adults flee for safety.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back