Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from East Texas!

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Names MudSkipper, but ya'll can call me Robert if you like :famous: I found this wonderful site about two days ago while looking up information on salamanders and their habitats. I have been into herpetology ever since I can remember, being a big reptile and amphibian fan. I would spend many days and nights as a kid looking for various reptile species in the woods behind my house; sometimes i would have some luck and come across a few nonvenomous snakes (mostly cottonmouths due to the creek in my backyard though) other times I would go weeks without sighting a thing. Lately I have been going around doing some photography of the local wildlife, but it seems every time I have a camera the animals somehow just disappear.

What I really want to find is some salamander species or newts, I have lived here my whole life, 23 years, and I can only recount on one occasion where I sighted a salamander. I would love to spot one in the wild in hopes to get a few pictures to add to my collection, I have looked in the typical spots where they are said to be, but being late May, and 90 degrees outside everyday i feel it may be too dry and late to spot any.

Thank you for this wonderful website and allowing me to share in on the experience. MudSkipper out...

NecturusLindsay

Reaction score
Hello!
Looks like I'm the first to welcome you to the site, and I'm sure many of the other members can be of help in giving you some Texas caudate-encountering tips :happy:

Best of luck,
Lindsay

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1