Question: Gravel.

mthom211

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I am thinking about getting a axolotl. The tank is set up as a shrimp tank now but I will get rid of them soon. The only problem I can think of is that I have gravel. I don't want to take the gravel out as it is a planted tank. The gravel is only 2-3mm. Can an axolotl pass this? Also can I have a bristlenose with it or would it be to cold?

Thanks Matt

Hi,

Gravel runs a very high impaction risk unless it is 1mm or less. Sand is highly preferred and does work well with planted tanks - I understand that would take a great deal of work, but the risk of impaction warrants the change.

No, any member of the catfish family is not considered a good tank mate. The bristlenose can harm the axolotl with its spiny fins or by attaching itself to the axolotl. Also, harm can come to both if the axolotl attempts to swallow it. It is not advisable to put anything else in a tank with an axolotl except another axolotl of comparable size.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If I grow a ground cover over the gravel, like baby tears or dwarf hairgrass, will it hold the gravel down and prevent swallowing? Or could I put river tsones on top of the gravel?

An axolotl is a large animal. All wastes need to be removed daily, food wastes will need to be removed immediately.

Knowing from personal experience, river rocks tend to hold a lot of wastes between them and under - even when you are sure you have vacuumed every possible nook and cranny.

I don't feel that I can give a good answer about the ground cover as I am not familiar. I would worry about the axolotl swallowing some of it (they are powerful little vacuums), but I don't know if it would have an ill effect on him. Hopefully, someone else can give you a more educated opinion on this option.

Baby tears or dwarf hairgrass would not be able to keep the gravel down. The axies would make a huge mess of this type of setup.

My Young Grasshopper is here! :D
I had a sucker in my axie tank I couldn't get out (silly thing is just too hard to catch in a 400L tank, I nearly fell in).. Banana ate him.. didn't last three days..

I know what you mean! I was about to add: DON'T GET RID OF YOUR SHRIMP!! Cleaning crew, food source and pretty entertainment all in tiny little packages :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back