Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Fine gravel

daremo

Reaction score
Hi

I changed my substrate from bare bottom to fine gravel a week ago and now I see that my axie has 2 reddish fingers, is it possible that the gravel is cutting him???

I cleaned it well, and I have some left in a bucket and to be honest, when I stir it it doesn't cut, it's not like Caribbean sand but it didn't feel like it could hurt.

Now I am worried, should I be or I am overreacting and he may have cut himself with something else? Its not the first time I see his fingers like this with bare bottom too...

the gravel is the one in the right on the picture, it's not the best, I'll try to take a picture tomorrow with better light...

Taking it out now would be complicated :'(
and I already added more plants with the substrate
img

dragonlady

Reaction score
I don't know that the gravel would do any damage but it looks to be a little deep. The depth shouldn't be a factor for injury but if too deep, gases could become trapped and cause you problems with water chemistry later.

Do you have anything else in the tank that might have a sharp edge on it? When you say reddish, do you mean like bloody or like a rash? Maybe there could be something else like some sort of infection or reaction rather than an injury.

If you could, post a close up pic of the feet you are referring to?

daremo

Reaction score
that's not a picture of my tank, it was just to show the kind of gravel I have...

I will try to take a picture tomorrow with sun light, meanwhile I'll check on him... it's not the first time I see his feet like this

They look reddish like bloody

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1