Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Starting a New Tank

Heraspax

Reaction score
I currently have an empty fluval roma 125 (which according to the website is 80cm long x 35cm wide x 45cm high) and I was hoping to eventually make this home to two axolotls. Really I am just looking for some inspiration as in my previous tank which was smaller and only had one axxy in it was a bit of a hassle to clean - i started out with large pebbles but as they were notorious for allowing things to get trapped in between them and raise ammonia levels, i switched to sand but everytime I would clean out the sank i'd clog the filter as it would all go up the way! I was hoping to create a set up with a few plants, maybe some terracotta type slabs? They probably have a real name but terracotta was what came to mind heh and then a few nice hides like tubes. Really I think I just need some reccomendations of how to create a good, easy to keep axolotl tank rather than one that is self harmful! Thanks for all your help, you'll probably find me dottlign round this forum looking for some good ideas :D

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Yeah slate is a good idea, although if you do not silicone down you will have to make sure you disrupt it a bit every now and then incase of air bubbles etc. I have tiles, sand, some real and plastic plants and some pvc tubes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1