Sexing newts

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If possible could you give me and ID on the sex of my newts please; I thought I was sure; but some recent egg laying has now got me confused....the photo of Isaac is terrible so I don't expect anyone to be able to tell me.

EDIT: For some reason my links aren't working....bare with me.

Hopefully these links should work...

Isaac
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/dipsydoodle-albums-isaac.html

Flame
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/dipsydoodle-albums-flame.html

Tiny
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/dipsydoodle-albums-tiny.html

Last edited:
i can't tell with Isaac because the image is too small for me to make out any definable features of his/her cloaca.

Flame is a definite male as you can clearly see his swollen testes.

im not too sure with Tiny but im fairly certain that Tiny is a male as well.

here is a helpful link so that you can see the differences between a male and a female cloaca.

Caudata Culture Articles - Sexing

Flame is a definite male as you can clearly see his swollen testes.
Caudata Culture Articles - Sexing

Sorry, just wanted to point out that those are not the testes (which are internal) it´s cloacal tissue.

Isaac is impossible to tell, but the other two are females (although it´s possible that the skinny one could be a male that has it´s secondary sexual characteristics hidden because of it´s physical state - unlikely, though).

Isaacs bits look identical to Flames.

I thought that Isaac and Flame were females and that Tiny (skinny one) was a male (his bits are different looking, and he has a different shape even now he's fattened up). The photo was on the first day I got him and he was pretty skinny.

The "line" down the middle of Tiny's bits isn't like "a hole", it's more just an indent in his bits.

Sorry, just wanted to point out that those are not the testes (which are internal) it´s cloacal tissue.

oh wow, that means that my figgy was a girl instead of a male, thanks azhael.

Tiny´s cloaca is a bit dubious, but i would be inclined to thinking it is a female. If you have a more recent picture, we might be able to ascertain for sure.

shmifty5: I didn´t mean it couldn´t be a male. I was just trying to avoid confussion because the testes of a male newt are internal and are not situated in the cloaca, despite what might appear. If your animal has a broad enlarged cloaca then it is a male.

figgys cloaca was extremely similiar to Flames, if Flame is a female then figgy has got to have been a girl, it's good to know.

Tiny´s cloaca is a bit dubious, but i would be inclined to thinking it is a female. If you have a more recent picture, we might be able to ascertain for sure.

Tiny's bits look exactly the same. I'll try and get a better picture of them lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back