Question: Ideas please

Jasper 3

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Jasper
Okay, I fell in love with Axies and now its my desire to raise two of them. So I did some research about how to build a nice home for two Axies where they can live.

I made a list of things that I need for the tank, that I need to do and what the risks are for the setup if not treated correctly.
I would like to ask you to take a look at the list and tell me what you think of it.

Tank size for 2 Axies:
* 120cm Long
* 30-35cm width
* 35-40cm high

Stuff the tank needs:
* Somewhat hard water (The water is a bit soft, to fix that add some Holtfreter's solution / Steinberg's solution / regular cooking salt)
* Black polystyrene board to devide the weight of the tank and to make sure the Axies
dont get stressed by to much brightness.
* A filter, I was thinking of the Aquaball 2210 of Eheim. Though I am not sure if this is
suitable filter!
* A pvc tube with smalle holes drilled in it hooked up to the filter to divide the waterflow over the entire tank
* Large gravel/pebbles (>2 cm) (Optional, since it increases the ammonia level, but its stressfull for the Axies to try and walk on a glass floor.)
* a siphon to easily clean the tankfloor
* A hood with some soft aquarium lighting
* A standard aquarium heater on 18 degrees (its the netherlands, so the water can get cold)
* Plastic plants, pvc tubes, caves etc. so the Axies have something to hide in
* A temp
* a ph test kit
* a chloride test kit
* an ammonia test kit
* a nitrate test kit
* anti-chloride product against chlooramines and chloride (which one is advisable and healthy for Axies?)

Things to do to maintain the tank:
* Once a week a water change of 20% of the water. Though only do this after the filter did his job for two months
* Let the tank age for the first two weeks. Decorate the entire tank and wait two weeks before putting in the Axies
* Feed them 3 or 4 times a week (I am not sure of this)
* Clean the tankfloor twice a week
* Check the temperature 2 times a day
* Check if the filter doesn't stress your Axies. If it does make sure that the waterflow is reduced. To do this, try to aim the flow on the glass wall or the water surface.
* The ph should always be between 6,5 and 8. With 7,2 as an ideal ph
* Treat the water you're about to add with anti-chlorine and leave it for atleast 24 hours
* Check the ph, chlorine, ammonia and nitrate level on a regular bassis
* Check the water you are adding if it is not to much diffrent from the water in the tank

Risks:
* Stress by to much light(changes), temperature above the 24 degrees celsius, to much waterflow
* To much temperature shifts of a few degrees are enough to stress out your sweet Axies.
* The cannabalistic tendencies of young Axies
* Over feeding
* To much food with fats
* Axies eat the gravel
* Two boys or two girls, I am not ready yet for babies

You can recognize a stressed Axolotl by a tiny curl in the point of its tail. And if your Axolotl is under alot of stress his gills turn forward.

sources:
www.axolotl.org
www.shopsolutions.nl
and this forum ( www.caudate.org/forum )

hi jasper
you have done your homework..well done.....
a few things......i would go sand or gravel smaller than 1mm or tiles......this way if the axies do eat some it will pass through without causing too much trouble.....you will need a nitrite test as well.....you will need to clean the bottom after every feed and clean whenever you see poop, if you dont this could upset you water parameters.... you can get a turkey baster for this it work great....as long as there isnt too much water movement your filter shouldnt stress your axies out....i have eheim and it is ok for abby......and last but not least......lots of love
i hope this helps
lea

Hi,

No live plants ?
They would help maintaining water quality.

Sincerely,

Thank you Lea, I was starting to think of sand too. Since I heard from people that it is even easier to clean then pebbles. Though sand can cause gas built up, so I'm afraid that if my Axie decides to eat the sand he might stir the sand so the ga releases. Or isn't there any gas if you maintain your tank?

And I think I have plenty of love for my future Axies. Since I adore them already :happy:

About the living plants; when I had fish I had some living plants. Though they started to rot, even in a clean tank. And the rotting plants made my fish ill. So I rather don't take the risk again.

Thanks for your replies!
Jasper

Man Jasper... that's some serious research! Nice job. :D

2 Axolotls will have plenty of space in that tank.

The heater should rarely be needed (I would think) because temps you would live at should be suitable for Axolotls. That may be just my Southern USA Centric view however. Internal filters also raise the temps in the tank.
The Aquaball 2210 Eheim internal here in the US costs costs almost twice what two Zoo Med 501 External Canisters cost. I like the 501 external, as warm water is the problem here in Florida. The 501 also comes with a spray bar. I have a Repticlear 350 internal in my tank as well. Luckily it will run with the powerhead out of the water as submerged it raises the Temperature about 1° F.
Please use the sand or slate. I use the Carib Sea Tahitian Moon Sand suggested by Sludgemunky and it's great. One to 1.5 20 lb bags would be perfect. Gravel is not just problematic.... it is just a problem.
As far as plants go.... Java Moss. It's almost impossible to kill, grows well, helps water quality, and looks good. The Japanese Mossimo (Cladophora aegagropila ) Moss balls seem to be hardy as well. I think live plants are important and the Java Moss requires NO care.
I would also get a test kit like Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit if you can. Here in the US it's cheaper than buying all the tests separately. The test strips are inaccurate I'm told.
You can cycle the tank with the animals in it... but I didn't want to so I cycled mine for 6 weeks with just some Moss and small shrimp.

Good Luck! :happy:

You won't need a heater, the gravel you mentioned would risk impaction if swallowed, and as far as plants go...you may also want to check out java fern...it's an awesome plants, grows huge, and is extremely hardy.

I was doubting about the heater to. So I decided that I will do without and see if I need one next winter, if so then I will buy one (I am just an average student with not alot of cash xD).

The Zoo Med 501 External Canister sounds nice, though I don't have any experience with Canisters. Do they need more or different attention then a regular filter?

And I think I'm going for the slate, since I think its pretty :p

And the Java moss and fern sounds great! I think I will take those, since I like waterplants alot more then plastic things.

And I just bought a test kit online for all tests required what isn't based on test strips. So I already have that.

Do you really need to cycle with a fish/shrimp/or any other creature in it? Since I read that it improves the bacterial growth in the filter, what's good. But is it nessecary?

Thanks again for all the replies!
Jasper

Cycling with fish or shrimp (rotting food) provides the ammonia needed to get the cycle going. You can do it with your animals in the tank, but you need to pay close attention to the conditions and do frequent water changes.

Canister filters require maintenance about once a month, which is extremely easy and convenient since the filter is outside of the tank.

I also use a slate bottom in my tanks, I think it's just as good a substrate as sand.

The Zoo Med 501 doesn't require any more maintenance then any other filter.... perhaps less that most I've had. It's silent and easy to work with. The Directions aren't very good however. The Carbon Bag goes on top of the ceramic media... and you don't need all of the ceramic media (if you try to use it all the carbon won't fit). I used about half the quantity given with 3 or 4 more in the sponge chamber. I love it.
As for cycling... I've always added feeders and or plants to start things going. I'm not sure how long it takes if there is nothing creating waste to get the cycle going. I also add the water that the feeders and plants come in to get a little beneficial bacteria in there quickly (I make sure the feeders and plants are healthy and come from clean tanks that are not overcrowded and I usually quarantine feeder fish though I did not with the Shrimp I just used.
That's just how I've always done it. Maybe others will weight in. :D

Hmm... I will see what filter/canister I can buy here then. And keep an eye out specifically for the canisters mentioned here :happy:

I think I will take a shrimp or two then as soon as I set up my tank. Though isn't that bad for the shrimp? Since I can imagine that the shrimp needs a specific water quality to, and I don't want to kill one creature (or make it sick) so another can live a nice life.

The Zoo Med 501 doesn't require any more maintenance then any other filter.... perhaps less that most I've had. It's silent and easy to work with. The Directions aren't very good however. The Carbon Bag goes on top of the ceramic media... and you don't need all of the ceramic media (if you try to use it all the carbon won't fit). I used about half the quantity given with 3 or 4 more in the sponge chamber. I love it.

Hey Mac,

I think you have inadvertently typed something backwards here. :eek: So there's no confusion for any other present/future 501 owners, the ceramic media goes on top of the carbon. You are right, it doesn't all fit - I like your idea of putting the extra on the side with the sponge! The directions are not very clear, hopefully, that gets improved! Definitely agree it's a neat little filter and I, personally, will consider it my first choice unless I do finally set up my dream tank that will be over 100 gallons! :eek:

Hey Mac,

I think you have inadvertently typed something backwards here. :eek: So there's no confusion for any other present/future 501 owners, the ceramic media goes on top of the carbon. You are right, it doesn't all fit - I like your idea of putting the extra on the side with the sponge! :eek:

Touché! I keep getting it mixed up myself as the box and the directions say different things. I even had Zoo Med send me a letter explaining it and I STILL can't keep it straight. Mine is wrong right now (though it still works very well) then! :eek:
Anyhoo... it's a great little filter so listen to Shannon and ignore me. Most people do and they seem to be better for it! :D

Hey Mac,

I think you have inadvertently typed something backwards here. :eek: So there's no confusion for any other present/future 501 owners, the ceramic media goes on top of the carbon. You are right, it doesn't all fit - I like your idea of putting the extra on the side with the sponge! The directions are not very clear, hopefully, that gets improved! Definitely agree it's a neat little filter and I, personally, will consider it my first choice unless I do finally set up my dream tank that will be over 100 gallons! :eek:

Well I will see if I can buy them here :)

And a 100 gallon tank sounds great!
Though a very pricey idea as well.

Well I will see if I can buy them here :)

And a 100 gallon tank sounds great!
Though a very pricey idea as well.

and HEAVY!! lol It's been a dream going on 20 years now, but never hurts to dream! :D

Hope you can find a 501, over here, they are cheaper online - maybe eBay?

and HEAVY!! lol It's been a dream going on 20 years now, but never hurts to dream! :D

Hope you can find a 501, over here, they are cheaper online - maybe eBay?

I will try to find one, but first I think I will put my money in a tank :p

edit: ohw and another thing. How many times do you feed a young Axolotl, and an adult one? Does it differ?

Oh yes, times definitely change depending on the size of your axolotl.

This is only my opinion, others may feel differently and are welcome to share or contradict:

Babies - 2x a day - less than 1" - freshly hatched brine shrimp and/or daphnia

Juvies - 1x a day - >1" to approx. 5" - frozen bloodworms, live blackworms, introduction to earthworms and pellets (if desired)

sub-adults - 1x every other day approx. - earthworms always with pellets occasionally

adults - approx. 3x a week - this depends on your particular adult. Mine like small meals every other day most of the time (1 earthworm and a few pellets). - earthworms always with pellets occasionally

General rule is what they will consume in 15 min. Anything left after this needs to be removed.

I had a 150, a 100, and a 75. I sold all three for 425 bucks when I thought I was done. :( I R stooooopud.

OMG!!!! I would have so rented a truck, driven to Florida and picked those up myself! Stayed for a few weeks (years). Now there might have been a problem getting them unloaded...:p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back