Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to tell the difference between fire belly juveniles?

Zac

Reaction score
No links to this online, so I thought this was the best place to ask.

Cheers
Zac

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
When you say difference I assume you mean male/female, as opposed to difference between species? or is it the other way around? (or in fact something different).

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Which species do you want to distinguish?
Certain subspecies of C.pyrrhogaster can be tricky and look like C.orientalis, but the rest are fairly easy to distinguish.

Zac

Reaction score
Nothing in particular. What's odd about my juvenile is that his tail is pointy like a Jap, gravely skin, rather big at 4.8 or so cm, not hydrophobic and doesn't have a sought of fin shaped tail like adult C. Orientalis. His tail is shaped like a fruit knife but he doesn't have an orange stripe down his back. Any help would be nice

Cheers
Zac

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Can you get a picture?

Were you sold the newt as a juvinile or did you rear him? (I was going to say grow him lol).

Zac

Reaction score
Can you get a picture?

Were you sold the newt as a juvinile or did you rear him? (I was going to say grow him lol).

haha, he was sold as a juvenile. I'm still looking for my camera so I'll get back to you on that one mate.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
At that size I'd guess he isn't a juvinile.

My newts (of the same species) have slightly different shaped tails, so it could be perfectly normal.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Only adult male C.orientalis have a rounded tipped tail.
If your newt has a pointy tail then it is either a female or still a juvenile.

Zac

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info.

But while I'm here, would it now be a good idea to give him a fully aquatic setup? Also, how long does a newt stay out of the water when stressed?

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
What kind of environment are you keeping him in at the moment? I'd maybe try for semi-aquatic (with some land mass) so he can choose where he wants to go.

Zac

Reaction score
What kind of environment are you keeping him in at the moment? I'd maybe try for semi-aquatic (with some land mass) so he can choose where he wants to go.

I'm keeping him in a small 3 or 4 gallon tank with 7 and a half cm of water with big bunches of java moss and some elodea. I put a small rock in the middle of the tank which doesn't submerge out of the water, so the newt can sit on the rock while still half of his body is in water.

This has helped encouraged him to go to the water. I'm thinking about raising the water level but I don't want to piss him off.

Cheers,
Zac

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1