Notos wont eat earth worms!

drew1

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 2 Eastern spotteds wont eat earth worms. I have been chopping them up and wiping them off with a paper towel before attempting to feed. Should I try smaller pieces or wait longer before I put the pieces in because when I do they pieces are still moving. One of them has eaten it and then he spat it back out...the other just looks at it and swims off. And ideas? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of worms? Be sure you are using gray garden worms or nightcrawlers. If the earthworms are the red wiggler type, it's normal for newts to refuse them when they are cut.

If the worms aren't the problem, then cut them smaller. Or wait until the newts are hungrier.

They are nightcrwlers i got from the pet store, definatly not red wigglers. And i guess i will wait longet to feed, but as soon as i tried blood worms they scoffed them down like no bodys business. Thanks for your reply jennewt

I have a tiger who doesn't care much for earthworms either. He'll act like he's starving but when I try to give him an earthworm he will just look at it or push it around with his head but he won't eat it. Some are just picky I guess cause he scarfs down crickets and superworms like they are going out of style.

haha i guess we both have picky little animals then! What is another good food choice for them as a staple since they wont eat earthworms?

I feed my guy crickets and superworms, crickets are good as long as they are gutloaded to bring up their nutritional value. I feed my crickets calcium fortified water gel and calcium fortified cricket feed. My tiger does well on them, he's actually a bit pudgy. He also gets a treat of superworms once in a while but I'd be careful giving your guys those. They tend to be hard to digest but since tigers are a pretty hardy species my guy takes them fine. You can also get different types of grubs like phoenix worms, butterworms, silkworms, and hornworms. I've heard that phoenix worms are a very good staple diet for caudates. Silkworms and hornworms are suppose to be good too and I've heard that butterworms are good but I've also heard they are high in fat so it might not be best to feed them butterworms too much.

Also check out this sites if you haven't already, it has some info on foods Caudata Culture Articles - Foods , Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values

I dont know if it was mentioned but are they aquatic or terrestrial? Aquatic notos will find food by smell and if the worms are chopped small enough, with time they should eat them. If they are terrestrial they may need more encouragement to eat them. I wiggle them on a cabob stick for my efts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back