Illness/Sickness: Normal cut or parasite?

daremo

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi
I still have problems with my axie, he hurt his feet and is still not recovering, could this be a hurt possible by something sharp or is there a chance a parasite can do this??
I think he's tail is also having some marks, I'm really worried...

Should I remove the gravel or this has nothing to do? it's fine and I don't feel it sharp, but his skin can be sensitive to it, I don't know...

pata.jpg

What type of gravel is it? And can you provide a picture of it?

Oops...I just took a look at your other thread, and saw all of the pictures...

I would say I can't see many other culprits for this type of injury, other than the substrate. To be safe I would remove the sand and either use a barebottom or tile setup and see if the problem resolves itself.

Last edited:
I just removed it
I guess I will have to live with bare bottom as I cannot find suitable sand.
I hope the little guy gets better and all this movement does not stress him out, it does stress me for sure ;(

I will keep you posted, thanks for the help!

the water in the tank is now very cloudy... should I put the axie in a tupper and change the water tomorrow or maybe it's because I removed the gravel...
I had to put my hands in there... I am worried that I may have contaminated the place now!

I wouldn't worry too much, it's probably just cloudy from the sand being agitated. I use tile bottoms in my tank, I highly recommend it. Could you provide a picture of the setup now?

it's the same but without the PVC tube and no substrate...
there's no much water left because I had to siphon the remaining gravel ... I will add more tomorrow (I add dechlorinator and leave it rest for a night at least)

here's a picture of the "back", the hose is there to prevent the filter's flood
mg3141.jpg

mg3142.jpg
mg3143.jpg

so far, so good.
I added new water and cleaned the remaining grains of fine gravel left today, and he's hungry as usual, which i guess is a good sign!

a quick update:

he seems to be doing fine, swimming and being hungry.

2 of his back toes are missing their tips, another 2 fingers on his back feet are bloody and another in one of his hands...

Gravel removed, should I do anything else or just leave him alone and wait for it to heal?
Can I somehow help? A friend is suggesting blue methylene but I am unsure if I should add it again really, it did help with the fungus though....

i would keep the tank clean and the water temp low and just keep and eye out for fungus and infection.....i wouldnt add anything unless a vet has told you to.......
i hope he is ok....he is very cute
lea

Yeah.... I didn't want to sound all unmanly and what not.... cause I'm definitely a manly guy. I mean like Schwarzenegger manly. Really. I got hair growing almost everywhere except on my head. But those pictures with him looking out at you are cute.... I mean cool and manly. :D

Don't add the blue methylene to his tank, if his condition doesn't improve after a few days, put him in the fridge. Until then, just monitor his injuries, and keep a close eye on his water.

ok, he's feet are looking a bit better, however I can see this in one of his toes:

mg3182.jpg

It looks like fungus right?
I tried to remove it with a Q-tip with no luck, should I wait and see if it goes or do salt baths? and in that case I guess I should find kosher salt or marine salt...

Is there anything less aggressive I can do to help with this?

That certainly looks like fungus to me. Fungus is not something to take lightly. I would definitely invest in some aquarium salt and start twice-daily salt bathes ASAP.

I concur with the salt baths as well, not longer than 10-15 min. per bath, 12 hours apart. Hope he feels better soon. He is cute.

Looking at your set up - that flower pot you have in there is cut in half very cleanly. Have you checked the edges of that? Keep in mind that axolotl skin is much, much softer than ours. You might want to sand those edges.

@Mac - you're trying too hard...you don't happen to drive a mini-cooper do you? :p

I got sea salt from an acquarium
Now I have some other questions:

1. of course the water with diluted salt should have dechlorinator...

2. should I keep the axie in a different container all the time or should I do the salt baths and return him to his tank after each salt bath?

and how do you guys do this?

When I removed him from the tank I used a tupperware container just big enough for him that I got into the tank and then back into it to release him, but in this case I cannot see that working (at least to get him back into the tank since the container will have salty water...)
I used a net once , to transfer him to his bigger thank and he definitely didn't like it...

Last edited:
@Mac - you're trying too hard...you don't happen to drive a mini-cooper do you? :p[/QUOTE]

Shannon~ don't even start with the Mini Cooper jokes! :happy:

I am a little baffled by this post. There has to be SOMETHING in his tank that is injuring his toes. That type of injury does not just appear out of nowhere.

Best of luck with the salt baths. I prefer to use a net to transfer the axie from the tank to the Tupperware filled with salty water. That way you can easily put him back in his tank without adding any salty water to his home.

thanks, I'll do that then

I'm pretty sure he hurt with the gravel, I removed it all now but the damage was already done :'(

I will concentrate in the fungus and the hurt toes now and check if its still happening, it shouldn't...

The fake log with the plant was in the tank from the beginning and never caused any problem, I used sand paper on its edges when I bought it, I will double check to make sure

I'll keep you posted

update: I gave him two salt baths for about 10 minutes.
The fungus disappeared on the first bath but I did another one today just in case.

His toes are still bloody, but he hasn't been swimming the tank to think he may have hurt himself with anything there.

Should I continue with the baths or leave him alone for a while and monitor his injuries? I can't see any fungus at the moment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back