Sick axolotl need help

cwdragon

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey recently noticed that my black axolotl has some stuff on its leg varying from white to a blackish colour and his toes have gone completely white i have attached a photo of the leg and he doesnt seem to move the leg unless he absolutely has to

Attachments

• S7301452.jpg
    S7301452.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 5,840
Looks like fungus to me. I'm no axolotl expert so wait for someone more
Knowledgeable to reply :)

Hi,

From your pic, that doesn't really look like fungus to me. Fungus usually presents itself as soft and cotton or wool like. Also that leg appears deformed, is it or is it just the pic?

If it is another form of growth, I would suggest fridging him and seeking a vet's advice.

As for the toes turning white, do you mean on that foot or are all his toe tips turning white on all his feet? If this is happening on the tips of all his toes, it could just be pigment change or a sign of maturity, depending on the axolotl's age.

I am concerned about the look of his gills, have they deteriorated or is this how they have always been?

Sorry, Fungus is treated with salt baths and if this is not fungus, you could end up stressing your axolotl more for no reason. A better pic and/or some more info would be very helpful, thank you.

Well, here's the response every thread on this section of the forum gets:

What conditions is you Axolotl being kept in? What size is the tank, is the Axolotl being kept alone, what are the parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites), and what is the temp?

That is not a normal injury, in fact, I have never seen anything like it, but it also worries me that like Shannon says, the gills look to be in pretty bad shape as well. I have a feeling your water isn't the best it could be, which is contributing to his condition.

I would fridge him, and consult a vet. Fridging procedures can be found here: Axolotl Sanctuary

the gills have always been like that, i did have him kept in a 4 foot tank with a ph of 6.8 temp around 18 and i had just cleaned the tank a couple of days before he got this. i also have another albino axolotl in the tank that is perfectly healthy. when i say the toes are going white i mean they are all completely white no just the tips and yes his leg does look a bit deformed. i am now currently isolating it in a foot and a half tank just to be safe

Since he has a tank mate, I would take a stab and say it was an injury caused by the albino. However, that doesn't explain the odd coloration in his toes, or why the injury looks so abnormal. What are your water parameters reading (nitrates, nitrites, ammonia)? If you have a testing kit...

Do you think the leg looks deformed because it is so seriously infected? I would venture that this might be a bacterial infection as the result of a wound caused by his tank mate. I would suggest consulting a herp vet in your area. His situation looks pretty serious to me. I would not waste any time in getting an expert involved.

upon close inspection this morning i have come to the conclusion it is limb rot based on the fact that at the joint i can see the bone because there is no skin and i dont have amonia or nitrate testing kit but i assume there is no ammonia as that would affect my ph

i know there will be alot of arguing about this but i have decided there is no choice tomorrow i am going to amputate his leg it has gotten visibly worse since morning and its too expensive to take him to the vet

i know there will be alot of arguing about this but i have decided there is no choice tomorrow i am going to amputate his leg it has gotten visibly worse since morning and its too expensive to take him to the vet

Well Dr. cwdragon... I have to say that your callous course of action is irresponsible and your assumptions about your water parameters and the expense of caring for a life you took responsibility for show that you are ill prepared to care for an animal of any type.

Other than that... you have left me speechless. No small feat that.

You are going to amputate the leg yourself!!!??????

That sounds like a horrendous experience for everyone involved.

Why don't you contact a local herp vet to at least get an idea of how much it would cost to treat your axie. It may be less than you would have expected.

BTW: Every time I hear someone assume that their water parameters are fine based on this or that I just have to laugh. It is much easier just to test them with an at-home kit. That way you know exactly what you are dealing with....

I really hope you reconsider performing an amputation on your axie. How do you expect him to recover from having a limb removed without proper medical care, antibiotics, etc?

Most pet stores will also give you at least a basic reading if you bring in a sample of your water. Even big chain stores like petco offer this service.

Are you high or something? You will just kill your axolotl.

Please please take your axolotl to a vet. Yes it is expensive but sometimes they will let you go on a payment plan. Don't kill your pet.

i have antibiotics and i dont have a choice by the time i get enough money to pay for the vet he will be dead and there is no way my parents will ever pay that kind of money for an axolotl there view is it is cheaper to get a new one so if i dont do it he will die. im not saying i want to do it i do not look foward to doing it but at this point it is the only way he will survive

i will also point out that quite a few of the people on this site have done the same thing and their axolotl survived

I would strongly advise against anyone who is not a qualified vet/ surgeon against any home surgery. The animals welfare is at risk . Unfortunately many of us toddle off and purchase our pets, and forget about the possibility that a vet may well be needed at some point.

If the amputation was successful, your axolotl now needs to be kept in very clean conditions, so as to reduce the chance of any further infections. Your axolotl also needs to be kept in a cool area of your house. A fridge if necessary. The article below is easy to follow :-
Axolotl Sanctuary
I would keep the container covered and kept dark ..all these may help your axolotl de-stress.

As I see you are on line..
Looking at the photo the limb would have to be amputated very close to the body, I personally feel this is going to be close to impossible for you to do. I fear potentially putting your axolotl through the stress of trying ill prove fatal.
How about you use the antibiotics, keep your axolotl in a cool dark place , keep the water clean and let him do the work? I suspect in this situation if you can do this , your axolotl will stand a better chance of survival.
I do understand you are trying to save your pet and you are in a horrible situation, but I have to say, please don't proceed with this.

ouch, omg ouch. and wow.
I agree with the antibiotics and fridge, cool dark place. but if you amputate good luck.that sounds traumatizing.I know I couldn't do it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back