New guy with some questions

Ady

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey guys, I have been Reading around the forum for about a month now, I have had my tank set up and cycling for a few weeks and I'm going to buy my axolotl(s) on Sunday, can't wait!

While the forum has answered the vast majority of my questions without me even needing to ask, there are just a couple of things I was wondering about. I have tried searching but I use my iPhone for the time being because I don't have Internet in my flat, and the search function doesn't work well on th iPhone!

Anyway... Just wondering about earthworms, I don't have a garden that I can go digging around in for food, so I will have to buy them from the local bait shop or something, but I was wondering how long earthworms live for after you buy them? Will they die and go horrible before I even need them?!

My next question is, my tank is 2ft x 1ft x 1ft. I originally planned on buyin one dark coloured axolotl, but my girlfriend now wants a White one! She proposed that she buy one and we keep them together in the tank, I said yes after a while but now I am wondering is my tank big enough? In a couple of years I will be able to upgrade the tank size when I finish my degree, but for now this is all I have!

And lastly, I have seen many pictures of White axololts and they all seem to have lovely red fluffy gills, but all the ones I see in the pet shops have relatively pale coloured gills. Do the gills colour up with maturity or are the ones inthe pet shops of a different type? They have golden coloured eyes in the shops.

Well that's all, I think!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

regarding the earthworms, I keep them in a plastic container with earth and vegetable scraps, and some newspaper tossed in little pieces.
I was told by a gardener to add milk but I haven't yet, he said they reproduce fast and like it.
I spray water to keep its moisture but now wet as a plant pot, and I keep a lid on the container that allows air to get in and keep it out of the sun (those things against mosquitoes)
If you search for earthworms in the forum you will find a lot of information about them.

Earthworms: You can order them online and even start your own wormery, in which they will thrive and breed, providing an endless supply of free worms. All you pretty much need is some tupperware bins and soil. Search google for wormery and you'll get some good results.

Your tank is a 10 gallon tank, not large enough for 2 Axolotls. Just pick up a 20 gallon long, they are very cheap, and 2 Axolotls can be kept together.

Lastly, the "dull" coloration is usually just a result of the Axolotl "resting". When Axolotls aren't active for a bit, their blood is not flowing as quickly, which results in a muting of their colors, almost as if the Axolotls where all white like a ghost.

Once again, Eric and I meet! lol

So, I have edited my response so as to not repeat what he has said! ;)

Eric is right that they do fade sometimes at rest, however, it is also true that pet shops do not usually provide optimum conditions for their axolotls - there they are products to be sold, not pets. Once you pick yours out and take it home, you, as a keeper, will make its health and well-being your main priority and when well taken care of, they do thrive. It is partly due to maturity, but it has most to do with what kind of care they receive.

Love to see some pics once you are ready! :D

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the info, I may look into a wormory for food.
The problem is my girlfriend really wants to get two! The axolotls are about 5 inches long at the moment, will they be ok for a while in the tank or is it bordering on cruelty?

Your tank really is too small for 2. Yes, they are only about 5" right now, however, they could be 8-9" by next month! Axolotls grow very quickly and at different rates. So, you could have one 9" and the other might only be 5.5"! In a small space, 2 growing axolotls competing for food, could lead to missing parts.

Take Eric's advice and try to find a larger tank if you really want 2. Try to look for a used tank, they are usually around. Good luck!

Ok thanks, and I will take your advice and only get one. Just got to break it to the missus'! I'd rather just have one to begin with as it's my first time anyway.

I'll post some pictures when I go pick him/her up!!

Literally, a used 20 gallon long can be found for like $15. I just spent 2 minutes looking online and found a few for sale for $10 a pop. Not a huge investment by any means.

But it's very responsible for you to make sure you get the hang of it with just one...I wish more people approached animals with that point of view, rather than just loading up so their Axolotls will have "plenty of friends".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back