Looking for a new set-up

zoe

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've had my axolotl for about a month and a half and since joining the forum yesterday have realised i am keeping him in poorly conditions.
i'm looking for a new tank big enough to be able to get a few more at some point and have found a few different ones at the store i go to.
would just like someone to take a look at the links so i can get a better opinion on what would be suitable. one of them is actually a turtle tank because i heard they dont need particularly deep water but yeah just looking for an expert-esque opinion on them.
also the canister filter if that is appropriate.
Fish Tank &Stand. - Hoppers Crossing - VIC - $ 129.00=
Turtle Tanks. We - Hoppers Crossing - VIC - $ 129.00=
Advanced Canister Filter. - Hoppers Crossing - VIC - $ 139.00=

i thank you in advance :)

hi zoe

i have a tank like the first link and it is ok for 2 axies........i think the turtle tank is wider and therefore i would imagine there would be more floor space which is good also...........i have a canister filter which i cant complain about, you have to watch out and make sure the filter doesnt cause too much current in the tank which can upset the axie.......i would love to see pictures of your final set up
lea

All of those items are fine, and you could have 3 or so Axies in those tanks.

thanks very much :) i'll hopefully be getting onto it all this sunday so i'll definately put pictures up soon as i get it done. have you had much luck with the pellets?

ive picked a tank so im just wondering how much sand i will need for a good 2inch coverage. its 3 foot x 14inch x 18inch...
any idea?

i just went to the aquarium and got a quote, looking pretty pricey. however, the only sand they had there the guy was calling "beach sand". then i looked at it and its aquarium gravel. took some photos of the stuff so just need to find out whether its suitable or not.

also i would just like to thank everyone who has replied to my many posts the last day and a half. its much appreciated :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 103
Head on down to Bunnings and grab some childrens play sand. a 20kg bag will give you the amount of sand you and and some extra for later use. Don't forget to wash it very thoroughly though.

ok i'll do that then. how do you wash sand? cant really do it the same way as pebbles because sand goes right through a strainer..

Here a couple of the more popular options: You can wash sand by either putting the sand in a large bucket, inserting a garden hose in the middle of the sand, and letting it run until clear; or you can put sand in a pillowcase and put that under running water until it runs completely clear. You will have to stir up the sand in either case and it might not be a bad idea to first sift the sand through a screen to remove any wayward gravel.

thanks very much :)

Just a quick note, you aren't going to want your sand to be 2 inches deep. Any more than an inch and gas can build up, causing some foul smelling (and looking) results.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back