Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl not eating

Wendymac

Reaction score
Four days ago I noticed something strange floating in my Axolotls tank. It was approx 1.5cms long and 1cm wide, it looked the same colour as my axolotl (albino) at first I thought it looked like an internal organ. On further examination it was very soft and squichy, could it have been poo, if so it was very large for my Axolotl to have passed.
Since then my poor Axolotl has been looking a little down in the mouth and hasn't been swimming around much, nor has he eated any food for the last two of days.Also he does look a little redder coloured and a bit 'scruffy'. Should I be worried?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you feed your axolotl? It does sound like poo....but the colour makes me wonder a little.
With regards to your axolotl's pinkness, what are your water readings for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. The pinkness can be normal when the axolotl is active, but on a more serious level there could be a raised level of ammonia.

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Wendymac

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. Mainly I have been feeding him prawn or fish by hand, he's a bit rubbish at finding his own food, the bloodworm floats past him and he doesn't seem to notice.Iv'e just got him some kidney but he's not interested. I don't have a tester, I'll have to invest, but only last week I had the water tested at the aqatic centre and they said do a 20% change once a week. Any Ideas why he's not eating welcome, also what to feed him!
Still feeling concerned he's so lethargic, also the tip of his tail is curling a little

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That is not a proper diet, try and find some earthworms..you can dig them up yourself if the area is pesticide and fertilizer free. The wriggly earthworms could entice your Axolotl to eat.

Platterpus

Reaction score
A tight curl at the tip of the tail is usually a dire warning that your axie is sick. The floatie you describe sounds to me like a regurgitated "bolus" - if it had a mucus-y coating then it is almost certainly partly digested food. In my experience, this suggests that your axie has swallowed a rock, and the intestine is blocked. Is there anything in your tank that your axie could have swallowed? Small pebbles?
Unfortunately, this can be very difficult to treat, and usually relies on the axie eventually regurgitating or passing the object by itself - or a slow death if it is unable to do so. Our poor refugee Bob came pre-packed with 10 large aquarium stones, and his recovery was slow but successful. If you suspect this may be the case I would recommend you search the forum history to read the experiences of others and decide how you will proceed.

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
So there seems to be some 'axolotl not eating' posts...can I ask if anyone knows if it's a seasonal thing? That every year they just might be at the mating season...and just don't eat?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1