Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Decapitating wax worm

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hello, I occasionally feed wax worm more so the last few days as all my earthworms died and I have to wait until wed, for delivery.
So, I have been giving them 2 wax worms each to supplement the frozen bloodworm, I have been decapitating these as I know meal worms can damage the Axolotl.
My question is, is this necessary with wax worms after I cut off there heads there is barely a cm of worm left?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I've never taken the heads of off wax worms and I have yet to have a problem. Waste of time if you ask me.

jclee

Reaction score
I will admit that I personally wouldn't be too worried about waxworm heads, but I'll let someone with more waxworm-head experience chime in on their potential dangers.

I will say that, if you're loosing a lot of the worm, you might be better off crushing the head than decapitating. Same final effect, with less worm in the garbage. Frozen bloodworms should get you through a little while, anyway. You don't really need the fatty waxworms.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Thank you, I will stop now, I was only decapitating as they look like meal worm heads.
I have been giving them the wax worm as they have only been eating about half a bloodworm cube between two until they get bored, and they always beg for more wax worms.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Decapitating them creates a horrible mess xDDD Everything spills out, it´s a really bad idea.
You don´t need to at all...they don´t pose a threat, as the others commented

I´ve only had problems with live waxworms when offering them to small juveniles, in which case, feeding rear end first, completely solves any problem.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Great thank you, I have also set up my worm culture are you instructed Azhael, my juvie is eating bloodworm so no worries

ted22

Reaction score
No need to chop off head, waxworm jaws are alot more delicate that a mealworms set of gnashers n should not pose a threat to your axie my axie loves thrashing about with a wax worm in its mouth!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!