New member - needs to know the practicalities of growing from eggs

JOnbay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All,

As you can see I am a new member. I am the front for my son, 10, who is very interested to learn more about axolotls. We were both thinking that it would be interesting to try and grow some from eggs. It looks very involved what with buckets for algae to make food for Dapnia, for the developing larvae themselves.....

We are here to learn more. Specifically the best/easiest ways to keep the axolotls happy while they grow up.

Thanks for looking - and for any advice that you can give.

Jonbay

I'm sure you can use simpler foods. I raise eggs of different species (not axolotls) and all I use anymore are 'dirty water' and blackworms. When the eggs appear, I start a tank bubbling with leaves and algae from nature, put the eggs in, and by the time the eggs hatch, there's something growing in there for them to eat. Then after a week or so, I start with minced blackworms and gradually use larger and larger pieces, until they are eating whole ones, and work up from there. There is a lot of info here on raising axies, there is a whole section on Eggs:

Axolotls (<i>Ambystoma mexicanum</i>) - Eggs, Larvae & Breeding at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back