The (still nameless) babies

jclee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
jclee
Hello everyone. I just wanted to show off the three juvies I've reared from an accidental batch of eggs. I can't believe how quickly they're growing! I'll have to get their new tank set up and cycled sooner than I had thought I would.

Darn you all for getting me completely addicted to axolotls! Darn you!

Attachments

• favorite jaws pic 5.10.jpg
    favorite jaws pic 5.10.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 5.18.10 juvie axies b.jpg
    5.18.10 juvie axies b.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 107
they are soooooo cute.........

Evil laugh....ominous music plays...lol ;)

They are very cute and look forward to seeing more pics...yes, at this size, I think they change daily!

Yeah, I took those pictures about 12 days ago, and they seem to have almost doubled in size since then. I guess I'll begin the musical tanks game now, as I set them up in a 10 gallon until they outgrow it and I pick up the 40 gallon I've got in storage.

I've named the white one Jaws, since he was the "great white" of the litter, and he rapidly outgrew (and began munching on) his siblings. The other two, I haven't yet named. I didn't want to get attached to any until I was sure they would make it. At this point, I suppose that's a safe bet.

Oooh, they are so cute! Seeing those photos makes me miss having baby axies around. : (

Oooh, they are so cute! Seeing those photos makes me miss having baby axies around. : (

Remember the sleepless nights....the endless water changes....the panics about food...
All worth it tho!!

Are those Melanoid babies? They are beautiful!! I want them,.......:p

Mel

I can't take credit for their genetics. I got the parents from Michael Shrom (thanks, again!), and the mother is a melanoid and the father is leucistic. (Mental note: next time, buy adult axolotls of same sex. Lesson learned.)

They are handsome, aren't they? The two melanoid-looking offspring are lighter than their mother, and though you can't really tell in this picture, they have some fantastic looking speckles along their tails. I'll try to get some better pictures, but my camera is pretty lame and the lighting my home is atrociously dim.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back