Question: What causes bloat in newts?

misslyss

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alyssa
From what I understand a newt can retain water if there is too much humidity in a terrestrial set up, but what are the causes for bloat in aquatic species and axolotls?

My female chinese warty newt (housed with a male) looks gravid, but I want to weigh in all factors before I get my hopes up.

She eats, well.. a lot. Earthworms, wax worms, medium sized crickets, and even tries to eat the male's food, sometimes going as far as to grab the worm from his mouth forcing me to cut it in half. She is the same size if not fatter than my tiger salamanders, so I guess obesity could be a possibility as well. I admit, she begs, and I give her extra for enthusiasm.

Her neck is not swollen, just her lower belly area. I didn't feed her yesterday, but she did eat over 5 wax worms the day before. I really don't think its bloat because it seems she's been growing larger/healthier over time. I just noticed tonight she's hit her all time large. If it justifies her feeding habits, she was pretty skinny when I first purchased the two.

I want to be ready for whatever comes next.. vet visit, DIET, whatever needs to be done.

I'll get a picture on here tomorrow.

Help!

This article called Bloat in Newts should help out alot. Depending on the picture, it sounds like a change in the amount of feedings may be in order.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for replying so quickly!

The first 2 pictures scared me until I read the caption. I think she's in the clear as far as bloat goes, but we will definitely cut back on wax worms, and I'll try to ignore it when she stares at me waiting for her tenth helping.:eek:

I'll still post a picture to confirm it all

Forgot about this thread. Heres a picture from a few days ago and one from today.

P.S. That toe was already missing when I got her!

Attachments

• DSCN0659.JPG
    DSCN0659.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCN0622.jpg
    DSCN0622.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 514
Hot dog! she is the living incarnation of fat budha, i suspect she could beat the tigers in a sumo match, lol.

Oh no, is it really that obvious!? AH how could I let my poor girl become such a little fatty?! pinhead crickets for the next month! ;) ya right she would probably eat my fingers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back