Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ideal food?

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
What is the best thing to feed an axolotl; I am aware earth worms are the best thing; but what other things are ideal for feeding, long term and as treats?

ted22

Reaction score
I feed frozen bloodworm cubes with the odd frozen prawn as a staple and waxworms as a treat but regulary feed gomez crickets they are definately his favorite just chuck em in turn the light off and watch the magic happen I have fed him guppies before but you would need a seperate tank for em and put in a couple at a time as i put 6 in the tank and only had 5 in the morning fat gomez!

dragonlady

Reaction score
Earthworms are definitely the best choice of staple. Ted22's suggestions of frozen bloodworm cubes and prawns are fine too. HERE you might find some other alternatives.

Another suggestion might be sinking salmon pellets, I don't know what brand name they would be under in the UK but these are soft, carnivore pellets. Axies usually like these pretty well but beware that pellets can and will foul your water if left in the tank.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Prawn is not a natural food, i´ve never understood why people would use it except for plain commodity, which is a rather poor excuse. Fresh water shrimp, now that´s another thing entirely.

Personally i think the second most natural and ideal food for axolotls, or any aquatic caudate for that matter, are crustaceans. In a variety of forms, yes, but crustaceans are a big part of an aquatic caudate´s diet, hard evidence of that can be found in the bellies and coloration of many...many species.
I think we should all make an effort in introducing more crustaceans in our caudate´s diet, i know i´m trying with my limited possibilities (if i had a garden, oh how many things i would culture xDD).

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
I'm sorry, Azhael. I thought prawn were a large variety of freshwater shrimp and when I just did a search, that's what I found as well. Maybe prawn are considered something different in Spain?

To clarify, I am referring to freshwater shrimp when I say prawn. No marine crustaceans should be used as a food source for axolotls in my opinion.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, i see, my bad. I hear prawn and automatically go to the kind of shrimps we usually eat, which are salt water and not suitable.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Ah here we go again with the English and American versions of the same word Shannon what you call shrimp we call prawns! If I lived in America I think I would have to just learn the language all over again!

Dipsydoodle, I have three Axolotl, my 4 inch juvie eats Earthworm as a staple and occasionally bloodworm, My other two, as much as I try, will not accept earthworm as there staple I am still trying and will not give up! however, in reality I would say there staple is bloodworm, with the occasional wax worm (there favourite) mealworm, beef heart, Reptomin pellets, bloodworm pellets and 'Axolotl' pellets bought from Exotic Pets - Amphibian, Reptile and Invert UK exotic pet shop
I am like Azhael I would like the space to culture shrimp.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Tom,

How do you differentiate between the marine species and the freshwater? I personally refer to all as shrimp, but know others refer to the freshwater version as prawn - I looked it up the first time I heard the term as I am not a shrimp officionado by any means! ;)

I had to do the same thing with scuds - evidently this is a freshwater relative of shrimp but had never heard the term before seeing it out here. I might try to culture these if I find the space...

tomkeogh

Reaction score
In pet shops it's cherry shrimp ghost shrimp etc I believe the only difference is when for human food we call them prawns and you call them shrimp I am pretty sure the prawns in UK shops are salt water. I am no expert on crustaceans I am just always amused by the different words we use for the same thing!

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I desperately want to get an axolotl; I just want to make sure I've researched every possibility first.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Excellent! Love it when people take their time and do the research first! Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask! ;)

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I've been contemplating getting one since September (last year).

I have researched everything (I just sometimes like lots of opinions :)).

One question I do have is....do axolotls "do" anything - when I've seen them in the shops/online they all just seem to stand still...and very occasionally move.

JM29

Reaction score
I personally don'y know if there is an ideal food.
Perhaps there is an ideal diet, varying seasonally.

lea

Reaction score
yeah they do things......mine plays with my toddler, they chase each other up and down the tank......and he swims/walks around the tank......gets into weird positions and begs for food.....

Blaze

Reaction score
You also have to remember that 90% of pet shops keep the axolotls in god awful conditions so they are VERY stressed out with high water temperatures,wrong food and no doubt on gravel. An axolotl that is kept in the right conditions is likely to be healthy and active.

Blaze.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score

My newts hav become extra active since they got a bigger tank. I can selfishly get an axolotl now in an 18" tank; but I think I'd rather wait and get a better sized tank to begin with; rather than having it in too small a tank.

axiegaz

Reaction score
food:

I have a feeder tank set up which supplies regular red cherry shrimps and white cloud minnows as treats as a supplement to there Lobworm diet.
I also always have some frozen bloodworm in the freezer as treat and emergency food*

behaviour:

i originally bought Klaus and Gretchen simply because i love wierd looking animals but soon came to see just how much personality each of them have: Klaus is very chilled out and regularly sits on the top of my filter, waiting to snap up the more idiotic cherry shrip that wander by Gretchen is very active and loves moving all the plants around and digging little "nests" into the substrate. Both of them beg for food and come to the top of the tank each evening when i get home from work... it's adorable :)

* emergency food for situations like "oh no! the batch of 50 worms i just bought are all dieing of something and i've got nothing else to give them"
it's happened twice now - anyone know a good earthworm supplier other than wormsdirect?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One question I do have is....do axolotls "do" anything - when I've seen them in the shops/online they all just seem to stand still...and very occasionally move.

Juveniles tend to be more active than adults. An adult axolotl will spend much of its time doing as little as possible. They are quite lazy (although you'd be amazed at how fast they can move when food comes on the scene :rolleyes: - as Eric has mentioned).

Although lazy, they have a great deal of character and are quite interactive and engaging. Mine make me laugh every day with their antics, and as Lea has said, the weird positions they assume and food begging is quite a treat to watch.

If you do make the plunge into the wonderful world of axolotls, we hope you will post pictures of them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1