Tank size for 3 Axa

Gangrenous

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was hoping for some recomended sizes for a tank to hold 3 Axas in ive read about Labs holding them in smaller size tanks but thats not fair on them i want them to have room to swim and eat and be themselves.

A 4 foot or 3foot with a large floor area sounds acceptable, I would not go any lower than 3 foot that is for sure

Also something to consider.......
If you aren't an experienced Axolotl Keeper you might want to stick to 2 animals. I got 4 and feeding them without one of them losing a limb is a real stressful acrobatic maneuver!

The rough rule of thumb is around a square foot per axie and more hides than animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back