Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dechlorinator with axolotls

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Ok another one of my questions, is it essential to have dechlorinator with axolotls? I read it was (on here)…however my question stems from here (and another discussion about fish on another forum).

I have never used dechlorinator before; I have been keeping goldfish for 17 years; my current goldfish all turned 9 this year (or I’ve had them that long anyway). I have a betta and newts in the same water (different tanks, same water source).

The discussion on the other forum was saying how some people used it and some hadn’t – I haven’t used it and I don’t want to start introducing it to their tanks now.

When I tested my tap water a few weeks ago the readings were:
pH = 7.5
Ammonia = Trace (not 0.25ppm but not zero)
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 0ppm

I don’t know the hardness or anything else of the water but we do live in a hard water zone.

If I have to get some for an axolotl then that’s fine; I just don’t want to alter the water that everything else is happy with.

When I tested my newts water last week (I didn’t test the pH stupidly); it was
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = slight trace (I’ve been doing more water changes lately with the increased temperature so it’s not getting a chance to build up).

I should add I am using the API liquid test kit.

jclee

Reaction score
Chlorine does evaporate out of tap water on its own. Heat, agitation, and bigger surface areas help it evaporate more quickly. (Think of a glass of water you've left out that forms bubbles along the sides over time. That is chlorine.) Many people age tap water, instead of adding conditioners (i.e., leave it to sit out for a day or two before adding it to a tank. Again, chlorine's evaporation rate can vary.)

BUT... chloramine will remain in tap water, and this can prove deadly. Not all water systems have chloramine. You can usually get a report of your area's water treatment from the state agency that handles it. I know that, in Rhode Island, we get annual leaflets that explain the water analyses that were done that year.

If you are not sure if your tap water is treated with chloramine, it is better to use water conditioner than to risk poisoning your animals. While I encourage you to get your water tested, I will say that, if this is the same water you've used on your fish, and if you haven't had m/any fatalities, it is probably safe. (But better to check it first, anyway.)

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Over 17 years of goldfish keeping I've lost about 5 fish. My first two which were placed in a goldfish bowl and EVENTUALLY upgraded to a tank with filter etc lived to 7 and 9 years old - whilst it's not great for conditions they were kept in at the time (unknowlingly to myself :() they did well.

As for the other casualties I'd say it's normal; you will always loose some anyway, but I haven't lost what I'd call a lot.

I can't say we've ever had anything to tell us about the water :(. I guess I'll check it out first, but yes it would be the same water we keep the fish and newts in.

P.S. I would like to visit Rhode Island; for some reason I've liked the name and wanted to visit for a long time.

shoegal

Reaction score
Goldfish may be much more resilient than axolotls. Amphibians are very sensitive to chemicals like chlorine & chloramine in their environment. I have always sworn by using a de-chlorinator, and I have read more than my fair share of posts written by people who assumed that chlorine & chloramine evaporated from an open container of water within 24 hours only to end up with a very sick or dead axie. I also know of people losing entire batches of axie larvae because of this same mistake. Not fun.

If you are really adamant about not using a de-chlorinator (I am not sure why, as I have never heard of negative side effects), you could always get your water tested just to be sure. I am a huge fan of instant gratification, so I don't have the patience to wait around for the harmful chemicals to evaporate every time I need to do a water change.

BTW: your water parameters look great for an axie, however I don't think the chemical components of the nitrogen cycle have any bearing on whether or not your water contains harmful chloramine.

Shizeric~ if I am incorrect, feel free to chastise me publicly.

dragonlady

Reaction score
I agree with everything Shoegal said.

I don't like chemicals in a tank at all, but feel that a dechlorinator does more good than harm in any case. Most dechlorinators affect more than chlorine/chloramines - they also neutralize other potential harmful substances in your water that you may not even be aware of. Many assume that because they are on city/town/public water that it is safe and/or because they've never had any issues with fish, everything's good too.

I err on the side of caution, and after seeing a copy of my own water report, I am happy that I do! I immediately installed a filter system on my tap and still use a dechlorinator! That report was scary! I don't have the $$ to maintain my tanks with bottled water, wish I did.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I'm not against using dechlorinator; I did say that :p; I said I would if I had to; I was just asking as I've never used it before. I just wanted to check first.

jclee

Reaction score
Like I said, it's best to get your water tested, either way.

When I age water, I let the chlorine bubbles tell me when the water's ready. I let it sit for a long while, jiggle the bottle to shake free the chlorine bubbles along the side, and let it sit a while longer. I repeat that process, off and on, until bubbles stop appearing along the sides. Like I said, temperature, agitation, and surface area all affect the rate at which chlorine evaporates, so there's no perfect time limit.

If you're more comfortable with dechlorinator, go for it. I'm not trying to push people into aging water, and I do use dechlorinator now and again, usually when I'm in a hurry. I just want to clarify what it entails. I've been on fish forums and such where people don't age their water properly, and I don't want to risk giving any wrong impressions. It is safe provided that there's no chloramine to begin with, and enough time is given for chlorine to fully evaporate out. (I've got a chronically leaking tap, so I feel less wasteful if there's a gallon jug under it, collecting tap water to be used for some purpose or another.:eek:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!