Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moths

Slimy2

Reaction score
Aside from amphibians and reptiles, I rear a variety of moths and butterflies throughout the year. Occasionally I take a stab at mounting some of the local species in the area. Here are my latest two moth mounts I wanted to share here. The first photo is of a male Amorpha juglandis (walnut sphinx moth) and the second is a male Darapsa myron (hog sphinx moth).

slimy2-albums-bugs-picture10507-a.jpg

(I didn't do so well mounting this moth-the abdomen is pointing to the right)

slimy2-albums-bugs-picture10508-a.jpg

Slimy2

Reaction score
Thanks! It's a hobby for now, but I plan on studying to become an entomologist in college. I release the majority of individuals that reach adulthood and keep a few others to either breed again or mount. Lots of people raise moths and I currently have a batch of Actias luna ova (luna moth eggs) which I recieved from a gravid female last week. I plan to start bagging the larvae on hickory tree branches later in the week.

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
Man,
I have heard of many hobbys involving nature over the years, but this is new to me. Is there a book i can read on the subject?

Slimy2

Reaction score
Man,
I have heard of many hobbys involving nature over the years, but this is new to me. Is there a book i can read on the subject?

There are quite a few books which explain how to mount insects, but one of the best I know of and have is Insects on Display by Connie Zakowski.

"Take a stab at mounting" is a really funny pun!

-Eva

And I thought nobody would catch on! :D

jamminnewt

Reaction score
Cool. I took an Entomology class last fall. Very neat. They are BOTH sphinx moths? The local ones in CA must all have similar wing shapes. Your two seem very different. The mounting looks nice. I'm impressed that you got the antennae to "fluff" like that when they died. How did you make sure they didn't curl up?

Slimy2

Reaction score
They are BOTH sphinx moths? The local ones in CA must all have similar wing shapes. Your two seem very different. I'm impressed that you got the antennae to "fluff" like that when they died. How did you make sure they didn't curl up?

Yes, both are sphinx moths. Many species of moths and butterflies can only be found on the eastern or western side of the U.S., and you will never find these species of sphinx moths in the wild as long as you're west of Texas.

I freeze my moths instead of gassing them. As they thaw I mount them to my liking, pinning the wings and antennae the way I want them, and then letting them sit on a rack for a couple days to dry out. After two or three days the moths are ready for display. I usually don't have a problem with them curling up after drying for two days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1