Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Two sick family members

Gangrenous

Reaction score
My two axalotl that I have had for 1 week were both sick when I got them (had to take them I couldnt leave them there). The white one had fungus on its upper lip and the black one had its gills and tail eaten. After a week of salt baths the white ones lip is slowly getting better sadly she still wont eat. The black ones gills have almost doubled in size and his tail is starting to take shape but sadly he caught a fungus on his toe and lost that today, He is eating but very little about 2 tablets of food a day or a piece of mince. Any ideas on how to get them both eating a little more would be welcome and how long should i keep the salt baths up for? Thanks in advance for any help.

Blaze

Reaction score
How big tank are they in? What are the water parameters? Whats the substrate? A picture would help. Whats the temperature of the tank? Has your tank been cycled?

Mince is no good as a staple. Try offering earthworms as a stable diet and mix it up with some treats such as pellets and feeder fish.

You need to do salt baths until the fungus is gone. Unless you have a chiller Geelong is awfully hot so I'd say that the fungus is reoccuring because of the water temp of the tank. Fridging would help majorly and you may have to think of a chiller for long term.

Gangrenous

Reaction score
Tank size is 2 and a half ft, Water has a Ph of 7.4 water changes once a week. tank temp is 14 cel.

I know mince isnt idel food but atm thats all the black one will eat he snubed blood worms.

Fungus is not reoccuring its been there since before I took the white one home.

Blaze

Reaction score
Ahh okies, 14degrees is wonderful. Just keep going with the salt baths and it should hopefully clear up soon! 2 and a half is unfortunetly way to small for two axies, you'll probably need a 3 foot at the least. Do you know the nitrate, nitrite and ammonia of your tank?
The problem with mince is that it's very fatty and if you see an axie eating a cow in the wild please inform me as i'll be getting a lid for Sunny ;)

Have you tried gentally helping the fungus off the axie in the salt bath with a cotton tip?

Gangrenous

Reaction score
Yer this tank is just till they grow a little I have a 6 foot getting ready for them both atm. The cotton tip is how the black one lost his toe today and with the white one most of the fungus is gone but the sore red skin is still there.

shoegal

Reaction score
Don't worry... the toe will grow back.

I would keep up the salt baths until you are certain the fungus is completely gone. It sounds like they are heading in the right direction.

You might try tempting them with a nice wriggly earthworm. Axies find them hard to resist.

Also, check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. These guys need ideal conditions, so they can recover from their ordeal.

You're doing a great job! Keep it up!

Gangrenous

Reaction score
Weekly Update the black one seemed totaly fine he has been eating guppys (breed from brother so they are clean) sadly today i have spotted a glaze/cloudeness over his left eye. fungus seems to be gone on both white one is just left with what seems to be a scabby lip. Unable to find a clean supply of worms still if any one has any ideas would be very welcome.

Also thank you for the kind words shoegal i am trying my best to heal these two

lea

Reaction score
i get my worms from a pet shop or you can get them from bunnings......you might have to soak them for a while i think these ones have a funny taste.......abby wouldnt eat the ones i bought from bunnings(he is a fussy boy tho)....i hope they get better soon
lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1